Research Interests:Medical decision making under risk and uncertainty, health outcomes modeling and measurement, health risk perception and assessment, health status assessment and monitoring, and health-related performance measurement and analysis.
Francois Sainfort earned a doctorate degree in industrial engineering and management from cole Centrale Paris, France. His research focuses on helping individuals and organizations make decisions, often under risk and uncertainty. Dr. Sainfort has published more than 130 refereed publications and has served as principal investigator on more than $13 million in contracts and grants. He is an editorial board member for several leading journals. He also is an expert consultant for the health care industry.
- Doctorate, Industrial Engineering and Management, Ecole Centrale Paris, France (1987)
- D.E.A., Industrial Engineering, Department of Economic, Social and Human Sciences, Ecole Centrale Paris, France (1984)
- Engineer Diploma, Ecole Centrale Paris, France (1982)
2007 to Present, Mayo Professor and Division Head, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, U.S.A. 2003 to 2007, Associate Dean for Interdisciplinary Programs (Research), College of Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A. 2005 to 2007, Founding Director, Institute for Health Systems Engineering, College of Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A. 2002 to 2007, William W. George Professor of Health Systems, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A.; Adjunct Professor, College of Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A. 2005 to 2007, Professor, Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Georgia, U.S.A. Summer 2002, Visiting Professor, Georgia Tech Lorraine, Georgia Institute of Technology, Metz, France. 2000 to 2007, Professor, School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A.; Director, Health Systems Research Center, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, U.S.A. 1999 to 2000, Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.; Director, Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 1997 to 1999, Associate Professor, Departments of Industrial Engineering and Preventive Medicine, Center for Health Systems Research and Analysis, and Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 1995 to 1997, Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, Center for Health Systems Research and Analysis, and Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 1995 to 1997, Visiting Professor, Ecole Nationale Suprieure de G?ie Industriel, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, Grenoble, France (one course per year). 1988 – 1995, Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Center for Health Systems Research and Analysis, University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 1990 – 1993, Visiting Professor, MBA Program, THESEUS, Sophia Antipolis, France (one course per year). 1987 – 1988, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
2007, Mayo Professor, University of Minnesota 2005, University Leadership Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology 2002, William W. George Professor of Health Systems, Georgia Institute of Technology 1993, Joseph Orlicky Award for the Best Innovation in Manufacturing and Service Operations, delivered by the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 1986, Stoelting Award in Management of Technology (Best dissertation research in management of technology)
- Culler, S.D., J, Jose, S. Kohler, P. Edwards, A.D. Dee, F. Sainfort and K. Rask. Implementing a Pharmacy System: Facilitators and Barriers, Journal of Medical Systems, 33(2):81-90, 2009.
- Riley, W., H. Parsons, K. McCoy, D. Burns, D. Anderson, S. Lee, and F. Sainfort. Introducing Quality Improvement Methods into Local Public Health Departments: Structured Evaluation of a Statewide Pilot Project, Health Services Research, 44(5):1863-79, 2009.
- Edwards, P.J., D.T. Huang, L.N. Metcalfe, and F. Sainfort. Maximizing Your Investment in EHR: Utilizing EHRs to Inform Continuous Quality Improvement, Journal of Health Information Management, 22(1):32-37, 2008.
- Edwards, PJ, T Scott, P Richardson, S Espinoza, F Sainfort, KJ Rask, J Jose. Using staff perceptions on patient safety as a tool for improving safety culture in a pediatric hospital system, Journal of Patient Safety, 4(2):113-118, 2008.
- Edwards PJ, KP Moloney, JA Jacko, F Sainfort. Evaluating usability of a commercial electronic health record: a case study, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 66(10):718-728, 2008.
- Shi, B., Moloney, K. P., Vidakovic, B., Jacko, J. A., & Sainfort, F. “MDM of High-frequency Pupil Diameter Measurements for Human-Computer Interaction” in D. Hong and Y. Shyr (Eds.) Quantitative Medical Data Analysis Using Mathematical Tools and Statistical Techniques. Singapore: World Scientific Publications, 333-350, 2007.
- Sainfort, F., Jacko, J. A., Edwards, P. J., & Booske, B. “Human-Computer Interaction in Healthcare.” In A. Sears and J. A. Jacko (Eds.) Human-Computer Interaction Handbook – 2nd Edition. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum & Associates. 661-678, 2007.
- Korunka C., D. Scharitzer , P. Carayon, P. Hoonakker, A. Sonnek, and F. Sainfort. Customer Orientation among Employees in Public Administration: A transnational, Longitudinal Study, Applied Ergonomics, 38:307-315, 2007.
- Yi, J.S., Y.Y. Jung, F. Sainfort, J. Jacko, B. Vidakovic. Two-Step Wave Strapping: Simulating Non-Stationary Acceleration Data In The Mobile Computing Context, Current Development in Theory and Applications of Wavelets, 1(3):251-272, 2007.
- Shi, B., Moloney, K. P., Pan, Y., Emery, V. K., Vidakovic, B., Jacko, J. A., & Sainfort F. Wavelet classification of high frequency pupillary response. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 76(5):431-446, 2006.
- Moloney, K. P., Emery V. K., Shi B., Jacko J. A., Vidakovic B., & Sainfort F. Leveraging data complexity: Pupillary behavior of older adults with visual impairment during HCI. Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), 13(3):376-402, 2006.
- Scott, I. U., Jacko, J. A., Sainfort, F., Leonard, V. K., Kongnakorn, T., & Moloney, K. P. The impact of auditory and haptic feedback on computer task performance in patients with Age-related Macular Degeneration and control subjects with no known ocular disease, Retina, 26(7), 803-810, 2006.
- Emery, V. K., Jacko, J. A., Yi, J. S., Sainfort, F. “Human Factors & Ergonomic Methods” in G. Salvendy (Ed.) The Handbook of Human Factors. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 292-321, 2006.
- Edwards, P. J., Sainfort, F., Kongnakorn, T., & Jacko, J. A. “Methods of Evaluating Outcomes” in G. Salvendy (Ed.) The Handbook of Human Factors. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1150-1187, 2006.