Research Interests:Competition and competitive healthcare markets, health insurance, financial incentives in healthcare, public reporting, employer strategies for purchasing healthcare, implementation of evidence-based treatment processes in healthcare organizations, and tracking changes in health care markets.
Jon Christianson holds the James A. Hamilton Chair in Health Management in the Health Policy and Management. His research specialties include evaluation of treatment processes, competition and competitive health care markets, health insurance, and financial incentives in health care. His current research interests include the public reporting of provider performance, employer strategies for purchasing health care, implementation of evidence- based treatment processes in health care organizations, and tracking change in health care markets.
- PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1974
- MS, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1972
- BA, Mathematics and Economics, St. Olaf College, 1968
- 2002-2013, Synthesis Project Advisory Group, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation;
- 2007 Chair, Academy Health Annual Research Meeting;
- 1994 Co-Chairperson, Seventh Biennial Research Conference on the Economics of Mental Health;
- 1998-2000, Subcommittee on Maximizing the Value of Health Investments, Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences;
- IOM/NAS Board on Health Services (2011-present);
- IOM Committee on Geographic Adjustments in Medicare Payments (2010-2012);
- Advisory Group Member and Senior Research Fellow, Medica Research Institute (2014-present)
- Vice Chair, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (2014-present)
- 1995, Recipient, Annual Research Award, National Institute for Healthcare Management
- Christianson, Jon. B., Karen Volmar, Jeffrey Alexander, and Dennis P. Scanlon, “A Report Card on Provider Report Cards: Current Status of the Health Care Transparency Movement,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, Vol. 25, No. 11 (November 2010), pp. 1235-1241.
- Alexander, Jeffrey A., Jon B. Christianson, Larry R. Hearld, Robert Hurley, And Dennis P. Scanlon, “Challenges of Capacity Building in Multi-sector Community Health Alliances,” Health Education and Behavior, Vol. 37, No. 5 (October, 2010), pp. 645-663.
- Christianson, Jon B., and Douglas Conrad, “Provider Payment and Incentives,” Oxford Handbook of Health Economics, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 624-628
- Christianson, Jon B., and Douglas Conrad, “Provider Payment and Incentives,” Oxford Handbook of Health Economics, Oxford University Press, 2011, pp. 624-628.
- Adair, Richard, Christianson, Jon B., Wholey, Douglas, White Katie. M., Town, Robert, Lee, Suhna, Britt, Heather, Lund, Peter, Lukasewycz, Anya, and Elumba, Deborah, “Care Guides. Employing Nonclinical Laypersons to Health Primary Care Teams to Manage Chronic Disease,” Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, Vol. 35, No. 1 (2011), pp. 1-11.
- Maeng, Daniel, Dennis Scanlon, and Jon B. Christianson. “Care Coordination for the Chronically Ill: Understanding the Patient’s Perspective, “Health Services Research, Vol. 47, No. 5 (October 2012), pp. 196-1979.
- Carlin, Caroline, Jon B. Christianson, Michael Finch, and Patricia Keenan, “Chronic Illness and Patient Satisfaction,” Health Services Research, Vol. 47, No. 6 (December 2012), pp. 2250-2272.
- Berenson, Robert A., Paul B. Ginsburg, Jon B. Christianson, and Tracy Yee, “The Growing Power of Some Providers to Win Step Payment Increases from Insurers Suggests Policy Remedies May Be Needed,” Health Affairs, Vol. 31, No. 5 (2012), pp. 973-981.
- Scanlon, Dennis P., Jeff Beich, Jeffrey A. Alexander, John B. Christianson, Romana Hasnain-Wynia, Megan C. McHugh, and Jessica N. Mittler, “The Aligning Forces for Quality Initiative: Background and Evolution from 2005 to 2012, American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 18, No. 6 Suppl (2012), pp. S115-S125.
- Alexander, J.A., Dennis P. Scanlon, Megan C. McHugh, Jon B. Christainson, Jessica N. Mittler, Romana Hasnain-Wynia, and Jeff Beich, “Midterm Observations and Recommendations From the Evaluation of the AF4Q Initiative,” American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 18, No. 6 Suppl (2012), pp. S126-S132.
- Christianson, Jon B., Karen M. Volmar, Bethany W. Shaw, Dennis Scanlon, “Producing Public Reports of Physician Quality and the Community Level: The Aligning Forces for Quality Initiative Experience,” American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 18, No. 6 Suppl (2012), pp. S133-S140.
- Scanlon, Dennis P., Jeffrey B. Alexander, Jeff Beich, Jon B. Christianson, Romana Hasnain-Wynia, Megan C. McHugh, Jessican N. Mittler, Yunfeng Shi, and Laura J. Bodenschatz, “Evaluating a Community-Based Program to Improve Healthcare Quality: Research Design for the Aligning Forces for Quality Initiative,” American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 18, No. 6 Suppl (2012), pp. eS165-eS176.
- Mittler, Jessica N., Karen M. Volmar, Bethany W. Shaw, Jon B. Christianson, and Dennis P. Scanlon, “Using Websites to Engage Consumers in Managing Their Health and Healthcare,” American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 18, No. 6 Suppl (2012), pp. S177-S184.
- Jeffrey S. McCullough, Jon B. Christianson, and Borwornsom Leerapan, “Do Electronic Medical Records Improve Diabetes Quality in Physician Practices?,” American Journal of Managed are, Vol. 19, No. 5 (February 2013), pp. 144-149.
- Richard Adair, Douglas R. Wholey, Jon B. Christianson, Katie M. White, Heather Britt, and Suhna Lee, “Improving Chronic Disease Care by Adding Laypersons to the Primary Care Team: A Parallel Randomized Trial, “Annals of Internal Medicine,” Vol. 159, No. 3 (August 3, 2013), pp. 176-184.
- Grant Martsolf, Dennis Scanlon, and Jon B. Christianson, “Multistakeholder Perspectives on Composite Measures of Ambulatory Care Quality: A Qualitative Descriptive Study,” Medical Care Research and Review, Vol. 70, No. 4 (August 2013), pp. 434-448.
- Wholey, Douglas R., Katie M. White, Richard Adair, Jon Christianson, Suhna Lee, and Deborah Elumba. “Care Guides: An Examination of Occupational Conflict and Role Relationships in Primary Care,” Health Care Management Review, Vol. 38, No. 4 (October-December, 2013), pp. 272-283.
- Christianson, Jon B., Daniel Maeng, Jean Abraham, Dennis Scanlon, Jeffrey Alexander, Jessica Mittler, and Michael Finch. “What Influences the Awareness of Physician Quality Information? Implications for Medicare,” Medicare and Medicaid Research Review, Vol. 4, No. 2 (2014), pp. E1-E15.
- Christianson, Jon. B., Caroline Carline, and Louise Warrick. “The Dynamics of Community Health Care Consolidation: Acquisition of Physician Practices,” The Milbank Quarterly, Vol. 91, No. 3 (2014), pp. 542-567.
- Abraham, Jean M., Daniel. J. Crespin, Jeffrey S. McCullough, and Jon B. Christianson, “What Is the Cost of Quality for Diabetes Care?” Medical Care Research and Review, Vol. 71, No. 6 (2014), pp. 580-598
- Radel, Kim, Sochenda Te Nelson, Melissa Hutchison, Jon Christianson, and Heather Britt. “Integrating Lay Health Care Workers into the Primary Care Team.” Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, Vol. 21, No. 12 (December 2014), pp. 547-551.
- Scanlon, Dennis, Yunfeng Shi, Neeraj Bhandari, and Jon Christianson. “Are Health Care Quality ‘Report Cards’ Reaching Consumers?” Awareness in the Chronically Ill Population.” American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 21, No. 3 (March 2015), pp. 236-244.
- McCullough, Jeffrey. S., Daniel J. Crespin, Jean M. Abraham, Jon Christianson, and Michael Finch. “Public Reporting and the Evolution of Diabetes Quality.” International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Vol. 15 (2015), pp. 127-139.