Research Interests:Health care policy, quality of care, women’s health, vulnerable populations, analysis of administrative/claims data, longitudinal methods
I conduct research to inform the development, implementation, and evaluation of health policy that impacts reproductive-age women and their families. I am particularly interested in institutional and government policies affecting health care delivery, quality, and outcomes during the perinatal period. I also conduct research on policy impacts among special populations, including working mothers, racial and ethnic minorities, low-income women, and rural populations. My current research examines the measurement and improvement of maternity care quality, with a focus on vulnerable populations and geographic variations.
- Ph.D., Health Policy, Harvard University, 2009
- M.P.A., Public Policy and Administration, Princeton University, 2003
- B.A., International Relations and Spanish (summa cum laude), University of Minnesota, 1999
RESEARCH FINDINGS: DOULA COVERAGE
Medicaid Coverage of Doula Services in Minnesota: Findings from the first year: December 2015.
Disparities, Health Care Reform, Health Policy & Management, Maternal Health, Medicaid / Medicare, Policy / Politics, Quality of Care, Reproductive Health, Women’s Health
- Associate Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2015 – present
- Director of Research, University of Minnesota Rural Health Research Center, Minneapolis, MN, 2016 – present
- Assistant Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2010 – 2015
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2009-2010
- Project Manager, Ibis Reproductive Health, Cambridge, MA, 2003-2005
- Consultant, Population Services International, Washington, DC, 2003
- Consultant, World Bank, Maputo, Mozambique, 2002
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor, Hopkins Public Schools, Hopkins, MN, 2000-2001
- Peace Corps Volunteer, United States Peace Corps, Inhambane Province, Mozambique, 1999-2000
- Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award, AcademyHealth (2016)
- National guest scholar at the Stanford Clinical Excellence Research Center (2015-2016)
- Childbirth Collective Shining Star Award (2015)
- Labelle Lectureship in Health Services Research, McMaster University (2015)
- Public Health Impact Award, University of Minnesota School of Public Health (2015)
- Health Affairs Top 15 Most-Read Articles in 2013 “Cesarean delivery rates vary 10-fold among US hospitals; reducing variation may address quality and cost issues.” (2014)
- Minnesota Population Center’s IHIS Research Award “National Trends in Health Insurance
Coverage of Pregnant and Reproductive-Age Women, 2000-2009” (2013)
- Elected and inducted into the Pi Chapter of Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health (2013)
- Early Career Reviewer Program, Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health (2012)
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH) Scholar, (2011-2014)
- University of Minnesota Institute for Diversity, Equity and Advocacy (IDEA) Multicultural Research Award (2011)
- Harvard Medical School Thomas O. Pyle Postdoctoral Fellowship (2009-2010)
- Harvard University Joan P. Curhan Citizenship Award (2009)
- Harvard University Dissertation Completion Grant (2008-2009)
- Postpartum Support International’s Susan Hickman Research Award (2008)
- Harvard Medical School Pharmaceutical Policy Research Fellowship (2007-2009)
- Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching (2006, 2008)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Predoctoral Trainee, (2005-2006)
- Harvard University Graduate Prize Fellowship (2005-2009)
- Princeton University Benjamin R. Fielding Summer Internship Award (2002)
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship (1999)
- University of Minnesota A.I. Johnson Scholarship for Public Service (1998)
- Kozhimannil KB, Hardeman RR, Vogelsang CA, Prasad S. Disrupting the pathways of social determinants of health: doula support during pregnancy and childbirth. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 2016; 29(3)308-317.
- Yang YT, Kozhimannil KB, Snowden JM. Pharmacist-prescribed birth control in Oregon and other states. JAMA, 2016; 315(15)1567-1568.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hardeman RR, Alarid-Escudero F, Vogelsang CA, Blauer-Peterson C, Howell EA. Modeling the cost effectiveness of doula care associated with reductions in preterm birth and cesarean delivery. Birth, 2016;43(1):20-7. Media coverage: National Public Radio, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Minnesota Public Radio, KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), WCCO TV (Minneapolis CBS Affiliate), MinnPost
- Kozhimannil KB, Thao V, Hung P, Tilden E, Caughey AB, Snowden JM. Association between Hospital Birth Volume and Maternal Morbidity among Low-Risk Pregnancies in Rural, Urban, and Teaching Hospitals the United States. American Journal of Perinatology, 2016; 33(6):590-599.
- Kozhimannil KB, Casey M, Hung P, Prasad S, Moscovice I. Location of childbirth for rural women: Implications for maternal levels of care. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016; 214(5):661.e1-661.e10.
- Armstrong J, Kozhimannil KB, McDermott P, Srinivas SK, for the Health Policy Committee of the Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine. Comparing variation in hospital rates of cesarean delivery among low-risk women using three different measures. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016;214(2):153–163.
- Kozhimannil KB, Jou J, Gjerdingen DK, McGovern PM. Access to Workplace Accommodations to Support Breastfeeding, after the Affordable Care Act. Women’s Health Issues, 2016;26(1)3-16. Press coverage: Forbes magazine, Huffington Post, US News and World Report, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Minnesota Public Radio, KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Marketplace, MinnPost
- Kozhimannil KB, Casey M, Hung P, Han X, Prasad S, Moscovice IS. The Rural Obstetric Workforce in US Hospitals: Challenges and Opportunities. Journal of Rural Health, 2015;31(4):365-372. Press coverage: Minnesota News Network
- Attanasio LA, Kozhimannil KB. Patient-reported communication quality and perceived discrimination in maternity care. Medical Care, 2015;53(10):863-71.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Yang YT, Avery MD, Declercq E. Midwifery care and patient-provider communication in maternity decisions in the United States. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2015; 19(7):1608-15. Press coverage: Minneapolis Star Tribune, KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Minnesota News Network
- Wharam JF, Graves AJ, Kozhimannil KB. Navigating the Rise of High Deductible Health Insurance: Childbirth in the Bronze Age, JAMA, 2015;313(3):245-246.
- Jou J, Kozhimannil KB, Johnson PJ, Sakala C. Patient-Perceived Pressure from Clinicians for Labor Induction and Cesarean Delivery. Health Services Research, 2015; 50(4):961-81. Press coverage: Health Behavior News Service, Minnesota Public Radio.
- Kozhimannil KB, Kim H. Maternal Mental Illness. Science, 2014; 345(6198):755.
- Kozhimannil KB, Arcaya MC, Subramanian SV. Maternal Clinical Diagnoses and Hospital Variation in the Risk of Cesarean Delivery: Analyses of a National US Hospital Discharge Database. PLOS Medicine, 2014; 11(10): e1001745. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001745. Press coverage: WCCO TV (Minneapolis CBS Affiliate), KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Minneapolis Star Tribune, St. Paul Pioneer Press, New York Daily News, Medical News Today.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Jou J, Joarnt LK, Johnson PJ, Gjerdingen DK. Potential benefits of increased access to doula support during childbirth. American Journal of Managed Care, 2014; 20(8): e111-e121. Press coverage: KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Huffington Post.
- Kozhimannil KB, Macheras M, Lorch SA. Trends in childbirth before 39 weeks’ gestation without medical indication. Medical Care, 2014; 52(7):649-657. Press coverage: US News and World Report, Reuters, Web MD, WHYY Radio (Philadelphia National Public Radio affiliate), Science World Report, Headlines & Global News, Health Day, Medical Daily, Science World Report, Health Magazine online.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hung P, Prasad S, Casey M, Moscovice IS. Rural-urban differences in obstetric care trends, 2002-2010, and implications for the future. Medical Care, 2014;52(1):4-9. Press coverage: Kaiser Health News, Medscape, Medical X-press, Science Daily, Nurse.com.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Hardeman RR, O’Brien M. Doula care supports near-universal breastfeeding initiation among diverse, low-income women. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 2013; 58(4):378-382. Press coverage: Minneapolis Star Tribune, Childbirth Collective.
- Kozhimannil KB, Law MR, Blauer-Peterson C, Zhang F, Wharam JF. The impact of high-deductible health plans on men and women: an analysis of emergency department care. Medical Care, 2013;51(8):639-45. Press coverage: New York Times, National Public Radio, MarketWatch/Wall Street Journal, Minneapolis Star Tribune, American Medical News, Chicago Tribune.
- Kozhimannil KB, Law MR, Virnig BA. Cesarean delivery rates vary 10-fold among US hospitals; reducing variation may address quality and cost issues. Health Affairs. 2013;32(3)527-535. Press coverage: New York Times, Kaiser Health News, ABC News, U.S. News and World Report, Huffington Post, Minnesota Public Radio, Star Tribune, KCBS Radio (San Francisco – CBS affiliate), KARE 11 TV (Minneapolis – NBC affiliate), MinnPost, WebMD, Consumer Reports, Medscape.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hardeman R, Attanasio L, Blauer-Peterson C, O’Brien M. Doula care and birth outcomes: the potential for improving care and reducing costs for diverse, low-income women. American Journal of Public Health, 2013;103(4): e113–e121. Legislation: Minnesota Senate File 699; Press coverage: Huffington Post, KSTP TV (Minneapolis – ABC affiliate), Star Tribune, MinnPost, Health Talk, Medscape, AJPH Blog, Daily Beast.
- Kozhimannil KB, Abraham JM, Virnig BA. National trends in health insurance coverage of pregnant and reproductive-age women. Women’s Health Issues. 2012:22(2)e135-e141. Press coverage: Minnesota Public Radio, Minnesota Daily, Minnesota Magazine.
- Kozhimannil KB, Trinacty CM, Busch AB, Huskamp HA, Adams AS. Racial/ethnic disparities in postpartum depression care among low-income women. Psychiatric Services. 2011:62(6)619-625. Press coverage: The Houston Chronicle.
- Kozhimannil KB, Adams AS, Soumerai SB, Busch AB, Huskamp HA. New Jersey’s efforts to improve postpartum depression care did not change treatment patterns for women on Medicaid. Health Affairs. 2011:30(2)293-301.Press coverage: New York Times, New Jersey Record, New Jersey Public Television, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Mental Health Weekly Digest.
- Kozhimannil KB, Huskamp HA, Graves AJ, Soumerai SB, Ross-Degnan D, Wharam JF. High-deductible health plans and costs and utilization of maternity care. American Journal of Managed Care. 2011;17(1)e15-e24.
- Kozhimannil KB, Pereira M, Harlow BL. Association between diabetes and perinatal depression among low-income mothers. JAMA 2009;301(8)842-847. Press coverage: Reuters, National Public Radio, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, WebMD, Medscape, Health Day, InsiderMedicine.