Alvaro Alonso earned his M.D. and Ph.D. in epidemiology at the University of Navarra, Spain, and later conducted postdoctoral research at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. His research interests lie in the epidemiology of cardiovascular and neurological diseases. His recent work has focused on the epidemiology of atrial fibrillation and other cardiac arrhythmias, and on the cardiovascular determinants of cognitive decline and dementia.
- M.D., University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- M.P.H., National School of Health, Madrid, Spain
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Cardiovascular Disease, Epidemiology
- 2011-present, Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2007-2011, Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2006-2007, Research Associate, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- 2004-2006, Research Fellow, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- 2001-2004, Medical Residency, Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Virgen del Camino Hospital, Pamplona, Spain
- 2004 – Fulbright fellowship
- 2011 – Sandra A. Daugherty Award for Excellence in Cardiovascular Disease or Hypertension Epidemiology, American Heart Association
Epidemiology of cardiovascular and neurological diseases.
- Gronroos NN, Chamberlain AM, Folsom AR, Soliman EZ, Agarwal SK, Nettleton JA, Alonso A. Fish, fish-derived n-3 fatty acids, and risk of incident atrial fibrillation in the ARIC Study. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e36686.
- Lopez FL, Agarwal SK, MacLehose RF, Soliman EZ, Sharrett AR, Huxley RR, Konety S, Ballantyne CM, Alonso A. Blood lipid levels, lipid lowering medications, and the incidence of atrial fibrillation: the ARIC Study. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology 2012;5:155-62.
- Alonso A, Lopez FL, Matsushita K, Loehr LR, Agarwal SK, Chen LY, Soliman EZ, Astor B, Coresh J. Chronic kidney disease is associated with the incidence of atrial fibrillation: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Circulation 2011;123:2946-53
- Alonso A, Tang W, Agarwal SK, Soliman EZ, Chamberlain AM, Folsom AR. Hemostatic markers are associated with the risk and prognosis of atrial fibrillation: the ARIC study. International Journal of Cardiology 2012;155:217-22.
- Chamberlain AM, Agarwal SK, Folsom AR, Duval S, Soliman EZ, Ambrose M, Eberly LE, Alonso A. Smoking and incidence of atrial fibrillation: results from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Heart Rhythm 2011;8:1160-6.
- Alonso A, Cook SD, Maghzi AH, Divani AA. A case-control study of risk factors for multiple sclerosis in Iran. Multiple Sclerosis 2011;17:550-5.
- Huxley RR, Filion KB, Konety S, Alonso A. Meta-analysis of cohort and case-control studies of type-2 diabetes mellitus and risk of atrial fibrillation. American Journal of Cardiology 2011;108:56-62.
- Huxley RR, Lopez FL, Folsom AR, Agarwal SK, Loehr LR, Soliman EZ, MacLehose R, Konety S, Alonso A. Absolute and attributable risks of atrial fibrillation in relation to optimal and borderline risk factors: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Circulation 2011;123:1501-8.
- Chamberlain AM, Agarwal SK, Folsom AR, Soliman EZ, Chambless LE, Crow R, Ambrose M, Alonso A. A clinical risk score for atrial fibrillation in a biracial prospective cohort (from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities [ARIC] Study). American Journal of Cardiology 2011;107:85-91
- Pathan SS, Gottesman RF, Mosley TH, Jr, Knopman DS, Sharrett AR, Alonso A. Association of lung function with cognitive decline and dementia: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. European Journal of Neurology 2011;18:888-98.
- Alonso A, Logroscino G, Jick SS, Hernán MA. Association of smoking with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis risk and survival in men and women: a prospective study. BMC Neurology 2010, 10:6.
- Alonso A, Nettleton JA, Ix JH, de Boer IH, Folsom AR, Bidulescu A, Kestenbaum BR, Chambless LE, Jacobs DR. Dietary phosphorus, blood pressure and incidence of hypertension in the ARIC and MESA studies. Hypertension 2010;55:776-84.
- Alonso A, Logroscino G, Hernán MA. Smoking and the risk of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2010;81:1249-52.