Bruce Alexander is an occupational and environmental epidemiologist with research interests in environmental determinants of cancer and respiratory disease, injury prevention and control, One Health and the health of agricultural populations, and global health. He is the Director of the Upper Midwest Agricultural Safety and Health Center, Director of the Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Training Program and Co-Director of the Occupational Injury Prevention and Research Training program in the Midwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ph.D. Epidemiology, University of Washington (1994)
- M.S. Environmental Health, Colorado State University (1987)
- B.S. Environmental Health, Colorado State University (1984)
Cancer: Risk Factors / Incidence, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Global Health, Injuries / Injury Prevention, Mining Health, Occupational Health & Safety, Pulmonary Disease, Research Methods
1987-1989 Epidemiologist, American Refugee Committee, Aranyaprathet, Thailand, Site 2 Camp for Displaced Cambodians.
1989-1990 Research Assistant, Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
1990-1994 Pre-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
1994-1996 Post-doctoral Fellow Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
1996-1998 Research Scientist, Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
1998-2005 Assistant Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2005-2010 Associate Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2010-Present Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Occupational and environmental epidemiology with emphasis on determinants of cancer, respiratory disease traumatic injury, biological markers and global health.
- Grice MM, McGovern PM, Alexander BH, Ukestad L, Hellerstedt W. Balancing work and family after childbirth: a longitudinal analysis. Women’s Health Issues 2011;21:19-27.
- Schonfeld SJ, Bhatti P, Brown EE, Linet MS, Simon SL, Weinstock RM, Hutchinson AA, Stovall M, Preston DL, Alexander BH, Doody MM, Sigurdson AJ. Polymorphisms in oxidative stress and inflammation pathway genes, low-dose ionizing radiation, and the risk of breast cancer among US radiologic technologists. Cancer Causes and Control 2010.
- Adgate JL, Cho SJ, Alexander BH, Ramachandran G, Raleigh KK, Johnson J, Messing RB, Williams A, Kelly J Pratt GC. Modeling Community Asbestos Exposure Near a Vermiculate Processing Facility: Impact of Human Activities on Cumulative Exposure Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 2011; 21:529-535
- Alexander BH, Raleigh KK, Johnson J, Mandel JH, Adgate JL, Cho SJ, Ramachandran G, Messing RB, Eshenhaur, Williams A. Radiographic Evidence of Non-occupational Asbestos Exposure from Processing Libby Vermiculite in Minneapolis Minnesota. Environmental Health Perspectives 2012;120:44-49.
- Gerstenblith M, Rajaraman P, Khaykin E, Doody MM, Alexander BH, Linet MS, Freedman DM Basal cell carcinoma and anthropometric factors in the U.S. radiologic technologists cohort study. International Journal of Cancer. 2012 Jul 15;131(2):E149-55. doi: 10.1002/ijc.26480 PMID: 21989791
- Cahoon E, Rajaraman P, Alexander B, Doody M, Linet M, Freedman D. Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of basal cell carcinoma in the United States Radiologic Technologists study. International Journal of Cancer. 2012 130:2939-48.
- Chen YC, Ramachandran G, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. Retrospective Exposure Assessment in a Chemical Research and Development Facility. Environment International 2012 39:111-121.
- Bannerjee E. Zabel E, Alexander B. Comparison of Defects Identified through Minnesota’s Birth Defects Information System and Vital Records, 2006-2008. Journal of Registry Management 2012;39:8-12.
- Neta G, Yu CL, Brenner A, Gu F, Hutchinson A, Pfeiffer R, Sturgis EM, Xu L, Linet MS, Alexander BH, Chanock S, Sigurdson AJ. Common genetic variants in the 8q24 region and risk of papillary thyroid cancer. Laryngoscope. 2012 122:1040-42.
- Suarez-Lopez JR, Jacobs Jr DR, Himes J,H Alexander BH, Lazovich, D, Gunnar M. Lower acetylcholinesterase activity among children living with flower plantation workers. Environmental Research. 2012; 114:53-9
- Cahoon EK, Wheeler DC, Kimlin MG, Kwok RK, Alexander BH, Little MP, Linet MS, Freedman DM. Individual, environmental, and meteorological predictors of daily personal ultraviolet radiation exposure measurements in a United States cohort study. PLoS One 2013;8:e54983.
- Drucker C, Gerberich SG, Manser MP, Alexander BH, Church TR, Ryan AD, Becic E. Factors associated with civilian drivers involved in crashes with emergency vehicles. Accident Analysis and Prevention 2013;55C:116-123.
- Freedman DM, Cahoon EK, Rajaraman P, Major JM, Doody MM, Alexander BH, Hoffbeck RW, Kimlin MG, Graubard BI, Linet MS. Sunlight and other determinants of circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in black and white participants in a nationwide U.S. study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2013;177:180-192.
- Major JM, Graubard BI, Dodd KW, Iwan A, Alexander BH, Linet MS, Freedman DM. Variability and reproducibility of circulating vitamin D in a nationwide U.S. population. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013;98:97-104.
- Neta G, Rajaraman P, Berrington de Gonzalez A, Doody MM, Alexander BH, Preston D, Simon SL, Melo D, Miller J, Freedman DM, Linet MS, Sigurdson AJ. A prospective study of medical diagnostic radiography and risk of thyroid cancer. American Journal of Epidemiology 2013;177:800-809.
- Schofield KE, Alexander BH, Gerberich SG, Ryan AD. Injury rates, severity, and drug testing programs in small construction companies. Journal of Safety Research 2013;44:97-104.
- Suarez-Lopez JR, Jacobs DR, Jr., Himes JH, Alexander BH. Acetylcholinesterase Activity, Cohabitation with Floricultural Workers, and Blood Pressure in Ecuadorian Children. Environmental Health Perspectives 2013; 121:619-624.
- Wei C, Gerberich SG, Alexander BH, Ryan AD, Nachreiner NM, Mongin SJ. Work-related violence against educators in Minnesota: rates and risks based on hours exposed. Journal of Safety Research 2013;44:73-85
- Alexander BH, Mandel JH, Scott LLF, Ramachandran G, Chen YC. Brain cancer in workers employed at a specialty chemical research facility. Archives of Environmental & Occupational Health 2013;68:218-227.
- Odo NU, Mandel JH, Perlman DM, Alexander BH, Scanlon PD. Estimates of restrictive ventilatory defect in the mining industry. Considerations for epidemiological investigations: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open 2013; 17;3(7). pii: e002561.
- Suarez-Lopez JR, Himes JH, Jacobs DR, Jr., Alexander BH, Gunnar MR. Acetylcholinesterase activity and neurodevelopment in boys and girls. Pediatrics 2013;132:e1649-1658.
- Hwang J, Ramachandran G, Raynor PC, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. Comprehensive assessment of exposures to elongate mineral particles in the taconite mining industry. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2013;57:966-978.
- Jansen RJ, Alexander BH, Anderson KE, Church TR. Quantifying lead-time bias in risk factor studies of cancer through simulation. Annals of Epidemiology 2013;23:735-741.
- Hwang J, Ramachandran G, Raynor PC, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. The Relationship between Various Exposure Metrics for Elongate Mineral Particles (EMP) in the Taconite Mining and Processing Industry. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2014 [In Press].
- Allen EM, Alexander BH, Maclehose RM, Mandel JH, Ramachandran G. Mortality Experience among Minnesota Taconite Mining Industry Workers. Occupational and Environmental Medicine In Press 2014.
- Raleigh KK, Alexander BH, Olsen GW, Ramachandran G, Morey SS, Church TR, Logan PW, Scott LFF, Allen EM. Mortality and cancer incidence in ammonium perfluorooctanoate production workers. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2014 71:500-506.
- McDonald EC, Freedman DM, Alexander B, Doody MM, Tucker MA, Linet MS, Cahoon EK. Prescription diuretic use and risk of basal cell carcinoma in the nationwide U.S. Radiologic Technologists cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; Published OnlineFirst May 8, 2014; doi:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-14-0251
- Nordgren LD, Gerberich SG, Alexander BH, Church TR, Bender JB, Ryan AD. An epidemiological study of the magnitude and consequences of and risk factors for work-related injuries to veterinary technicians. JAVMA 2014 [In press].
- Nordgren LD, Gerberich SG, Alexander BH, Church TR, Bender JB, Ryan AD. Risk factors for work-related bite injuries to Minnesota certified veterinary technicians. JAVMA 2014 [In press],.
- Liu JJ, Freedman DM, Little MP, Doody MM, Alexander BH, Kitahara CM, Lee T, Rajaraman P, Miller JS, Kampa DM, Simon SL, Preston DL, Linet MS.Work history and mortality risks in 90 268 US radiological technologists. Occup Environ Med. 2014 May 22. pii: oemed-2013-101859. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2013-101859. [Epub ahead of print].