Research Interests:Insurance theory; program evaluation; health plan choice; Medicare reform; tax policy
Bryan Dowd received his Ph.D. in policy analysis from the University of Pennsylvania. He specializes in economic and statistical modeling, and data analysis. His research focuses on the financing and delivery of health insurance, and health care services. He teaches health services research methods.
- PhD, Public Policy Analysis, Univ. of Pennsylvania, 1982
- MS, Urban Administration, Georgia State University, 1976
- BA, Architecture, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1972
Mayo Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota,2002 to present Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1994 to present Interim Division Head, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, October 1998 – July 1999 Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, August 1988 – May 1989
Mayo Professor in 2002 Association for Health Services Research: Article of the Year, 2001, 1994 National Institute for Health Care Management: Health Care Research Award ?C 2000 Humana Visiting Scholar. Department of Business and Economics. University of Kentucky. March 1993
- Atherly, A., Dowd, B., Coulam, R. F., & Guy, G. ”The effect of HIFA waiver expansions on uninsurance rates in adult populations.” Health Services Research Journal, 47(3, pt. 1): (2012) 939-962.
- Dagher, R., McGovern, P., Dowd, B. E., & Gjerdingen, D. ”Postpartum depression and health services expenditures among employed women.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(2): (2012) 210-215.
- Garrido, M., Allison, K., Bergeron, M., & Dowd, B. E. ”Hospital religious affiliation and outcomes for high risk infants.” Medical Care Research and Review, 69: (2012) 316-338.
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Norton, P., & Dowd, B. ”Interaction terms in non-linear models.” Health Services Research Journal, 47(1, pt. 1): (2012) 255-274.
- Dagher, R., McGovern, P., Dowd, B., & Lundberg, U. ”Postpartum depressive symptoms and the combined load of paid and unpaid work: a longitudinal analysis.” International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 84 (2011) 735-743.
- McGovern, P., Dagher, R., Rice, H. R., Gjerdingen, D., Dowd, B. E., Ukestad, L. K., & Lundberg, U. ”A longitudinal analysis of total workload and women’s health after childbirth.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53:5 (2011) 497-505.
- Kralewski, John E., Dowd, Bryan E. and Yi Xu. “Differences in the Cost of Health Care Provided by Group Practices in Minnesota,” Minnesota Medicine (February 2011).
- Coulam, Robert, Feldman, Roger, and Bryan E. Dowd. “Competitive Pricing in Medicare: Can We Overcome Congressional Micromanagement and Provider Self-Interest?” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 36:4 (2011) 649-689.
- Schousboe, John T., Davison, Mark L., Dowd, Bryan E., Call, Kathleen Thiede, Johnson, Paul, and Robert L. Kane. “Predictors of Patients’ Perceived Need for Medication to Prevent Fracture,” Medical Care 49 (2011) 273–280.
- Dowd, Bryan E. “Separated at Birth: Statisticians, Social Scientists and Causality,” Health Services Research 46:2 (April 2011) 397-420.
- Jonk, Yvonne, O’Connor, Heidi, Schult, Tamara, Cutting, Andrea, Feldman, Roger, Ripley, Diane Cowper, and Bryan Dowd. “Using the Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey to Conduct Research on Medicare-Eligible Veterans,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 47:8 (2010) 797-814.
- Dowd, Bryan E., McGrail, Michael, Lohman, William H., Seasby, Brent, O’Connor, Heidi, Calasanz, Marilou, Gorman, Robert and Stephen Parente. “Economic Analysis of a Disability Prevention Program,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 52:1 (January 2010) 15-21.
- Schousboe, John T. , Dowd, Bryan E., Davison, Mark L. and Robert L. Kane. “Association of Medication Attitudes with Non-Persistence and Non-Compliance with Medication to Prevent Fractures,” Osteoporosis International 21:11 (December 2009) 1899-1909.
- Nyman, John, Barleen, Nathan, Dowd, Bryan E. “A Return-on-Investment Analysis of the Health Promotion Program at the University of Minnesota,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 51 (2009) 54-65.
- Dowd, Bryan E., Kralewski, John, Kaissi, Amer, Irrgang, Sally. “Is Patient Satisfaction Influenced by Physician Use of Resources?” The American Journal of Managed Care 15:5 (May 2009) 16-21.
- Berenson, Robert and Bryan E. Dowd. “Medicare Advantage Plans at a Crossroads – Yet Again,”Health Affairs 28:1 (2009) w29-w40.
- Kralewski, J.E., A. Kaissi, and B.E. Dowd. 2008. “Culture as a Management Tool in Medical Group Practices,” Physician Executive 34:5 (September-October 2008) 12-17.
- Nyman, John A., Welte, John W., and Bryan E. Dowd. “Something for Nothing: A model of Gambling Behavior,” Journal of Socio-Economics 37 (2008) 2492–2504.
- Kralewski, J.E., Dowd, B.E., Cole-Adeniyi, T., Gans, D., Malakar, L., Elison, B. “Factors Influencing Physician Use of Clinical Electronic Information Technologies after Adoption by Their Medical Group Practices.” Health Care Management Review, 33:4 (2008) 361-367.
- Atherly, Adam and Bryan E. Dowd. “Should Healthy Medicare Beneficiaries Postpone Enrollment in Medicare Part D?” Health Economics 18:8 (August 2008).
- Zhang, Hui, Kane, Robert, Dowd, Bryan E., and Roger Feldman. “Selection Bias and Utilization of the Dual Eligibles in Medicare and Medicaid HMOs,” Health Services Research 45:3 Part 1 (October 2008) 1598-1618.
- Dowd, Bryan E. “Science, Morality and Universities,” Minnesota Journal of Law, Science and Technology 9:1 (2008) 243-252.