DeAnn Lazovich M.P.H., Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Program Director - Graduate Studies
School of Public HealthDivision of Epidemiology & Community HealthAddress Div. Epidemiology & Community Health 1300 S. 2nd Street, Suite 300 Minneapolis MN 55454 United Stateswork Work Phone: 612-626-9099work Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
DeAnn Lazovich’s research focuses on cancer epidemiology, prevention and cancer control. She has been principal investigator or co-investigator on intervention, cohort and case-control studies to investigate strategies to change cancer-related risk factors, or to assess factors associated with cancer development or survivorship. She has specific expertise in skin cancer prevention, in particular risk factors for melanoma, including indoor tanning use, and quality of life among cancer survivors.
- Ph.D. in Epidemiology, University of Washington
- M.P.H. in Epidemiology, University of Washington
- B.S. in Health Science, California State University, Fresno, CA
Cancer, Cancer: Risk Factors / Incidence, Cancer: Screening, Cancer: Treatment & Outcomes, Epidemiology, Research Methods, Surveys
- 2013-present, Member of Steering Committee, Minnesota Cancer Alliance (http://mncanceralliance.org)
- 2008-2011, Chair, Steering Committee, Minnesota Cancer Alliance (http://mncanceralliance.org)
- 2005-present, Co-Leader, Prevention & Etiology Program, Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota
- 1996-present, Member, Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota
- 1996-2002, Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1994-1996, Epidemiologist Principal, Minnesota Department of Health
- 2008, Nominated for Outstanding Community Service Award, offered by the Office for Public Engagement, University of Minnesota, in recognition of work with the Minnesota Cancer Alliance on Cancer Plan Minnesota
- 2005, Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society.
Cancer prevention and control; cancer etiology and epidemiology; melanoma, skin cancer etiology and prevention, indoor tanning, quality of life and cancer survivorship.
Member: Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota
- Ward K, Lazovich D, Hordinsky M. Germline melanoma susceptibility and prognostic genes: A review of the literature. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2012:67(5):1055-1067. PMID: 22583682.
- Lazovich D, Choi K, Rolnick C, Jackson J, Forster J, Southwell B. An Intervention to Decrease Adolescent Indoor Tanning: A Multi-method Pilot Study. J Adolescent Health 2013;52(5 Suppl):S76-S82. PMCID: PMC3734796
- Lazovich D, Choi K, Isaksson Vogel R. Time to get serious about skin cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2012:21(11):1893-1901. PMID: 22962407
- Inoue-Choi, M, Lazovich D, Prizment AE, Robien K. Adherence to the WCRF/AICR recommendations for cancer prevention is associated with better health-related quality of life among elderly female cancer survivors. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2013:31(14):1758-1766. PMCID: PMC3641697
- Inoue-Choi M, Robien K, Lazovich D. Adherence to the WCRF/AICR guidelines for cancer prevention is associated with lower mortality among older female cancer survivors. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2013:22(5):792-802. PMCID: PMC3650116
- Holman DM, Fox KA, Glen JD, Guy GP, Watson M, Baker K, Cokkinides V, Gottlieb M, Lazovich D, Perna FM, Sampson BP, Seidenberg AB, Sinclair C, Geller AC. Strategies to reduce indoor tanning: current research gaps and future opportunities for prevention. Am J Prev Med 2013:44(6):672-681. PMID: 23683986
- Watson M, Holman DM, Fox K, Guy GP, Seidenberg AB, Sampson BP, Sinclair C, Lazovich D. Preventing skin cancer through reduction of indoor tanning: Current evidence. Am J Prev Med 2013:44(6):682-689. PMID: 23683987
- Torres SM, Luo L, Lilyquist J, Stidley CA, Flores K, White KAM, Erdei E, Gonzales M, Paine S, Vogel RI, Lazovich D, Berwick M. DNA Repair variants, indoor tanning and risk of melanoma. Pigment Cell and Melenoma Research 2013:26:677-84. PMCID: PMC3752318.
- Flores KG, Erde E, Luo L, White KAM, Leng S, Berwick M, Lazovich D. A pilot study of genetic variants in dopamine regulators with indoor tanning and melanoma. Experimental Dermatology 2013:22(9):576-581. PMCID: PMC4102403
- Isaksson Vogel R, Ahmed RL, Nelson HH, Berwick M, Weinstock MA, Lazovich D. Exposure to indoor tanning without burning and melanoma risk by sunburn history. JNCI 2014;106 [Epub ahead of print May 28, 2014] PMID: 25031276
- Penn LA, Qian M, Zhang E, Ng E, Shao Y, Berwick M, Lazovich D, Polsky D. Development of a Melanoma Risk Prediction Model Incorporating MC1R Genotype and Indoor Tanning Exposure: Impact of Mole Phenotype on Model Performance. PLoS One 2014;9(7):e101507. PMCID: PMC4086828