Research Interests: Global issues in tobacco reduction, smoking cessation, treatment of medically compromised smokers
Harry Lando received his Ph.D. in psychology from Stanford University. His principal research interests are in global tobacco reduction; smoking intervention, including intervention in medically compromised and high-risk populations; and public policy changes relevant to smoking. He co-teaches a course on prevention and control of tobacco and alcohol problems and co-teaches a doctoral seminar series on principles of human behavior.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- B.A. in Psychology, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Member: University of Minnesota Cancer Center
Tobacco: Cessation, Tobacco: Policy
- PubH 3001-001 Personal and Community Health
- PubH 3003-001 Fundamentals of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- PubH 3004 Basic Concepts in Personal and Community Health
- 2006-present Distinguished International Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1992-present Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 2006-present Deputy Regional Editor, Addiction
- 2006 Co-chair, Program Committee, People Track
- 2006 World Conference on Tobacco OR Health
- 2004-present, Chair, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Global Network Committee
- 2003-2004 President, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
- 2002-2003 President, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
- 2000-present Member, Youth Tobacco Consortium, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2000-2006 Assistant Editor, Addiction
- 2000-2003 Chair, Social and Participatory Study Section, State of California, Tobacco Related Disease Research Program
- 1996-1999 Division Training Chair, Division of Epidemiology
- 1988-1992 Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1985-1986 Visiting Research Scientist, Oregon Research Institute
- 1972-1988 Assistant Professor – Professor, Department of Psychology, Iowa State University
- 2006 University of Minnesota Award for Global Engagement
- 2005 Distinguished Service Award. Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco for service as Chair, Pre-Meeting Conference: Issues and Opportunities in Global Tobacco Research
- Lando, H., Borrelli, B., Muramoto, M., Ward, K. Perspectives on the role of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco in promoting global tobacco research and reducing tobacco harm. Nicotine and Tobacco Research 2006;8:761-765.
- Lando, H. Reflections on 30+ years of smoking cessation research: From the individual to the world. Invited contribution. Drug and Alcohol Review 2006;25:5-14.
- Stillman, F., Wipfli, H., Lando, H., Leischow, S., Samet, J. Building capacity y for international tobacco control research: The Global Tobacco Research Network. American Journal of Public Health 2005;95:965-968.
- Lando, H., Borrelli, B., Klein, L., Waverly, L., Stillman, F., Kassel, J., Warner, K. The landscape in global tobacco control research: A guide to gaining a foothold. American Journal of Public Health 2005;95:939-945.