Jean Forster has research interests in chronic disease risk reduction strategies, particularly community-level policy intervention studies in alcohol, tobacco control, UV exposure and equity in health, especially among American Indians. She teaches Public Health Policy as a Prevention Strategy and Legislative Advocacy Skills for Public Health.
- Ph.D. in Genetics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.P.H. in Community Health Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- PubH 6049 – Legislative Advocacy
- PubH 6078 – Public Health Policy
Community Intervention, Community-Based Research, Health Equity, Policy / Politics, Tobacco, Tobacco: Policy, Tobacco: Prevention
- 1999-present: Professor, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2004-2007: Associate Director for Training, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1992-1999: Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1988-1992: Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1987-1988: Research Associate, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2011: School of Pubic Health Excellence in Advising Award
- 2001: Lynn Smith Award, American Cancer Society
- 1994: Hochbaum Distinguished Lecturer, University of North Carolina School of Public Health
- 1993: Leonard Schuman Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1992: Public Health Achievement Award, Minnesota Public Health Association
- 1986-1989: Kellogg National Fellowship 1988: Delta Omega 1976: Sigma Xi
Public health policy as a prevention strategy; Community-based strategies for chronic disease prevention Tobacco Policy Research Group;
Member: University of Minnesota Cancer Center
- Chen V, Forster JL. The long-term effect of local policies to restrict retail sale of tobacco to youth. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 8(3):371-377, 2006.
- Widome R, Forster JL, Hannan PJ, Perry CL. Longitudinal patterns of youth access to cigarettes and smoking progression: Minnesota Adolescent Community Cohort (MACC) study (2000-2001). Preventive Medicine 45:442-446, 2007. PMCID: PMC2255062
- Alesci N, Forster J, Erickson D. Did youth smoking behaviors change before and after the shutdown of Minnesota Youth Tobacco Prevention Initiative? Nicotine & Tobacco Research 11(10):1196-1204, 2009. PMCID: PMC2746837
- Collins NM, Shi Q, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Toomey, TL. Effects of clean indoor air laws on bar and restaurant revenue in Minnesota cities. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6SI):S10-S15, 2010.
- Au-Yeung CM, Weisman SR, Hennrikus DJ, Forster JL, Skoog R, Luneberg W, Hesse, B. An Evaluation of health benefit modification in Taft-Hartley health and welfare funds: implications for encouraging tobacco cessation coverage. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6SI):S30-S36, 2010.
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Collins NM, Erickson DJ, Toomey TL. Employment change for bars and restaurants following a statewide clean indoor air policy. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6S1):S16-S22, 2010.
- Choi TCK, Toomey T, Chen V, Forster J. Awareness and consequences of a cigarette tax increase among adolescents and young adults. American Journal of Health Promotion 25(6):379-386, 2011. NIHMS617652
- Forster JL, Chen V, Perry CL, Oswald J, Willmorth M. The Minnesota Adolescent Community Cohort Study: Design and baseline results. Prevention Science. 12:201-210 ,2011. PMCID: PMC4089859
- Goldade, K, Choi K, Bernat D, Klein EG, Okuyemi K, Forster JL. Multilevel predictors of smoking initiation among adolescents: Findings from the Minnesota Adolescent Community Cohort (MACC) Study. Preventive Medicine. 54(3-4):242-246, 2012. NIHMSID: PMCID: PMCID: PMC3319284
- Widome R, Brock E, Noble P, Forster JL. The relationship of point-of-sale tobacco advertising and neighborhood characteristics to underage sales of tobacco. Evaluation & the Health Professions. 35(3):331-345, 2012.
- Lenk KM, Rode P, Fabian LEA, Bernat DH, Klein E, Forster JL. Cigarette use among young adults: Comparisons between two-year college students, four-year college students, and those not in college. Journal of American College Health. 60(4):303-308, 2012. PMCID: PMC4032113
- Bernat D, Klein E, Forster JL. Smoking Initiation During Young Adulthood: A Longitudinal Study of a Population-Based Cohort. Journal of Adolescent Health 51(5): 497-502. 2012. PMCID: PMC3479406
- Nadeau M, Blake N, Poupart J, Rhodes K, Forster JL. Circle of Tobacco Wisdom: Learning About Traditional and Commercial Tobacco with Native Elders. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 43(5S3):S222-S228. 2012. PMCID: PMC3481548
- Bernat DH, Choi K, Erickson DJ, Lenk KM, Forster JL. Minnesota’s Comprehensive Statewide Smokefree Law: Short-Term Effects on Young Adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 43(5S3):S156-S162. 2012. PMCID: PMC3481548
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Erickson DJ. Longitudinal predictors of stopping smoking in young adulthood. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53(3):363-367, 2013. PMCID: PMC3755032
- Allen ML, Svetaz, MV, Hurtado GA, Linares R, Garcia-Huidobro D, Hurtado M, Forster J. The Developmental Stages of a Community-University Partnership: The Experience of Padres Informados/Jovenes Preparados. Progress in Community Health Partnerships, 7(3):271-279, 2013. PMC Journal – In Process
- Choi K, Hennrikus D, Forster J. Use of price-minimizing strategies and their effects on subsequent smoking behaviors. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 14:864-870. 2012.
- Choi K, Forster J. Characteristics associated with awareness, perceptions, and use of electronic cigarettes among young US Midwestern adults. Am J Public Health 103(3): 556-561, 2013. PMCID: PMC3567225
- Klein E, Forster J, Toomey T, Broder-Oldach B, Erickson D, Collins N. Did a local clean indoor air policy increase alcohol-related crime around bars and restaurants? Tobacco Control. 22(2):113-117. 2013.
- Klein EG, Bernat DH, Lenk KM, Forster JL. Nondaily smoking patterns in young adulthood. Addictive Behaviors. 38(7):2267-2272, 2013. PMCID: PMC3655707
- Mathur C, Erickson DJ, Stigler MH, Forster JL, Finnegan JR. Individual and neighborhood socioeconomic status effects on adolescent smoking: A multilevel cohort-sequential latent growth analysis. American Journal of Public Health, 103(3):543-548. 2013. PMCID: PMC3673491
- Widome R, Brock B, Noble P, Forster JL. The relationship of neighborhood demographic characteristics to point-of-sale tobacco advertising and marketing. Ethnicity and Health. 18(2):136-151, 2013.
- Shimotsu S, Jones-Webb R, MacLehose R, Nelson T, Forster J, Lytle L. Neighborhood characteristics, the retail environment and alcohol consumption: A multi-level analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 132(3):449-456, 2013.
- Fu SS, Rhodes KL, Robert C, Widome R, Forster JL, Joseph AM. Designing and evaluating culturally specific smoking cessation interventions for American Indian communities. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 16(1):42-49, 2014.
- Mather C, Stigler MH, Erickson DJ, Perry CL, Forster JL. Transitions in smoking behavior during emerging adulthood: A longitudinal analysis of the effect of home smoking bans. American Journal of Public Health. 104(4):715-720, 2014. PMCID: PMC4001790
- Choi K, Forster JL. Beliefs and experimentation with electronic cigarettes: a prospective analysis among young adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 46(2):175-178. PMCID: PMC3930913
- Choi K, Forster JL. Tobacco direct mail marketing and smoking behaviors in a cohort of adolescents and young adults from the US upper Midwest: a prospective analysis. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 16(6):886-889, 2014. PMCID: PMC4015100
- Erickson DJ, Lenk KM, Forster JL. Latent classes of young adults based on use of multiple types of tobacco and nicotine products. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 16(8):1056-1062, 2014. PMC Journal – In Process