Jean Forster has research interests in chronic disease risk reduction strategies, particularly community-level policy intervention studies in alcohol, tobacco control, and UV exposure. She teaches Public Health Policy as a Prevention Strategy and Legislative Advocacy Skills for Public Health.
- Ph.D. in Genetics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.P.H. in Community Health Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Community Intervention, Community-Based Research, Disparities, Policy / Politics, Tobacco, Tobacco: Policy, Tobacco: Prevention
- 1999-present: Professor, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2004-2007: Associate Director for Training, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1992-1999: Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1988-1992: Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1987-1988: Research Associate, Division of Epidemiology, Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2001: Lynn Smith Award, American Cancer Society
- 1994: Hochbaum Distinguished Lecturer, University of North Carolina School of Public Health
- 1993: Leonard Schuman Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1992: Public Health Achievement Award, Minnesota Public Health Association
- 1986-1989: Kellogg National Fellowship 1988: Delta Omega 1976: Sigma Xi
Public health policy as a prevention strategy; Community-based strategies for chronic disease prevention Tobacco Policy Research Group;
Member: University of Minnesota Cancer Center
- Klein EG, Forster JL, McFadden B, Outley CW. Minnesota Tobacco-Free Park Policies: Attitudes of the General Public and Park Officials. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 9(Suppl 1):S49-S55, 2007.
- Forster JL, Rhodes KL, Poupart J, Baker LO, Davey C for the American Indian Community Tobacco Project Steering Council. Patterns of Tobacco Use in a Sample of American Indians in Minneapolis-St. Paul. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 9(Suppl 1):S29-S37, 2007.
- Lazovich D, Forster JL, Widome R, VanCoevering P. Tobacco Possession, Use and Purchase Laws and Penalties in Minnesota: Enforcement, Tobacco Diversion Programs, and Youth Awareness. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 9(Suppl 1):S-S, 2007.
- Woodruff SI, Pichon LC, Hoerster KD, Forster JL, Gilmer T, Mayer JA. Measuring the Stringency of States’ Indoor Tanning Regulations: Instrument Development and Outcomes. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 56:774-780, 2007.
- Uslan K, Forster JL, Chen V. Smoking Policies in Small Worksites in Minnesota. American Journal of Health Promotion 21(5):416-421, 2007.
- Forster J, Widome R, Bernat D. Policy Interventions and Surveillance as Strategies to Prevent Tobacco Use in Adolescents and Young Adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 33(6S):S335-S339, 2007.
- Widome R, Forster JL, Hannan PJ, Perry CL. Longitudinal patterns of youth access to cigarettes and smoking progression: Minnesota Adolescent Community Cohort (MACC) study (2000-2001). Preventive Medicine 45:442-446, 2007.
- Mayer JA, Hoerster KD, Pichon LC, Rubio DA, Woodruff SI, Forster JL. Enforcement of State-Level Indoor Tanning Laws in the US. Preventing Chronic Disease Oct;5(4):A125, 2008.
- Bernat DH, Erickson DJ, Widome R, Perry CL, Forster JL. Adolescent Smoking Trajectories: Results from a Population-Based Cohort Study. Journal of Adolescent HealthOct;43(4):334-40, 2008.
- O’Dougherty M, Forster J, Widome R. Communicating with Local Elected Officials: Lessons Learned from Clean Indoor Air Ordinance Campaigns. Health Promotion Practice DOI: 10.1177/1524839908324781. 2008.
- Forster JL, Brokenleg I, Rhodes KL, Lamont GR, Poupart J. Factors associated with cigarette smoking among American Indian youth in Minneapolis-St. Paul. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35(6S):S449-456, 2008.
- Bernat DH, Lazovich D, Forster JL, Oakes JM, Chen V. Area-level variation in adolescent smoking. Preventing Chronic Disease Apr;6(2):A42, 2009.
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Lytle LA, Schillo B. Does the type of CIA policy significantly affect bar and restaurant employment in Minnesota cities? Prevention Science Jun;10(2):168-172, 2009.
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Lytle La, Schillo B. The relationship between local clean indoor air policies and smoking in youth. Tobacco Control 18:132-137, 2009.
- Toomey T, Chen V, Forster J, VanCoevering P, Lenk K. Do cigarette prices vary by brand, neighborhood, and store characteristics? Public Health Reports 124(4):535-540, 2009.
- Alesci N, Forster J, Erickson D. Did youth smoking behaviors change before and after the shutdown of Minnesota Youth Tobacco Prevention Initiative? Nicotine and Tobacco Research 11(10):1196-1204, 2009.
- Bernat D, Klein EG, Forster JL, Fabian L. Young adult support for clean indoor air laws in restaurants and bars. Journal of Adolescent Health 45:102-104, 2009.
- Lenk K, Chen V, Bernat D, Forster J, Rode P. Characterizing and comparing young adult intermittent and daily smokers. Substance Use and Misuse 44(14):2128-2140, 2009.
- Pichon LC, Mayer JA, Hoerster KD, Woodruff SI, Slymen DJ, Belch GE, Clapp EJ, Hurd AL, Forster JL, Weinstock MA. Youth access to artificial ultraviolet radiation exposure: practices of 3,647 indoor tanning facilities. Archives of Dermatology 145(9):1051-1052, 2009.
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Lytle LA, Schillo B. Economic effects of clean indoor air policies on bar and restaurant employment in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice 16(4):285-293, 2010.
- Collins NM, Shi Q, Forster JL, Erickson DJ, Toomey, TL. Effects of clean indoor air laws on bar and restaurant revenue in Minnesota cities. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6SI):S10-S15, 2010.
- Bernat D, Erickson D, Shi Q, Fabian L, Forster JL. Short-term effects of a comprehensive statewide smoke-free law on opportunities to smoke. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6SI), 2010
- Au-Yeung CM, Weisman SR, Hennrikus DJ, Forster JL, Skoog R, Luneberg W, Hesse, B. An Evaluation of health benefit modification in Taft-Hartley health and welfare funds: implications for encouraging tobacco cessation coverage. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6SI), 2010
- Klein EG, Forster JL, Collins NM, Erickson DJ, Toomey TL. Employment change for bars and restaurants following a statewide clean indoor air policy. American Journal of Preventive Medicine39(6S1):S16-S22, 2010.
- O’Dougherty M, Forster J, Widome R. Communicating with local elected officials: lessons learned from clean indoor air ordinance campaigns. Health Promotion Practice 11(2):275-81, 2010.
- Choi K, Lazovich D, Southwell B, Forster J, Rolnick C, Jackson J. Prevalence and characteristics of indoor tanning men and women in the United States. Archives of Dermatology 146(12):1356-1361, 2010. PMID: 21173319
- Mayer JA, Woodruff SI, Slymen DJ, Sallis JF, Forster JL, Clapp EJ, Hoerster KD, Pichon LC, Weeks JR, Belch GE, Weinstock MA, Gilmer T. Adolescents’ use of indoor tanning: A large-scale evaluation of psychosocial, environmental, and policy-level correlates. American Journal of Public Health. 101(5):930-938, 2011
- Choi TCK, Toomey T, Chen V, Forster J. Awareness and consequences of a cigarette tax increase among adolescents and young adults. American Journal of Health Promotion. 25(6):3779-386, 2011
- Forster JL, Chen V, Perry CL, Oswald J, Willmorth M. The Minnesota Adolescent Community Cohort Study: Design and baseline results. Prevention Science. 12:201-210, 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11121-011-0205-x
- Fabian LEA, Bernat DH, Lenk KM, Shi Q, Forster JL. Smoking bans in bars and restaurants: Does support among youth and young adults change after a statewide ban? Public Health Reports. 126(5):669-676, 2011
- Jansen P, Toomey TL, Nelson TF, Fabian LEA, Lenk KM, Forster JL. Sources of cigarettes among adolescent smokers: Free or purchased? American Journal of Health Education. 42(3):154-160. 2011
- Choi K, Lazovich D, Forster JL, Erickson D, Southwell BG. Prevalence of smoking in movies as perceived by teenagers. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 41(2):167-173, 2011
- Choi K, Hennrikus D, Forster J. Use of price minimizing strategies by smokers and their effects on subsequent smoking behaviors. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 14(7):864-870, 2012
- Widome R, Brock B, Klein EG, Forster JL. Smokeless tobacco advertising at the point of sale: Prevalence, placement, and demographic correlates. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 14(2):217-223, 2012