Research Interests:Occupational cancer risk from low-dose exposures; Exposure to persistent materials and severity of chronic diseases; Exposure-disease relationships.
Jeffrey Mandel, MD, MPH is an associate professor at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health Sciences. His background is in internal medicine/occupational/environmental medicine and epidemiology. He directs the academic component for the occupational/environmental medicine residency program at the University of Minnesota. A key research interest of his has been the exposure-disease relationship, particularly exposures that involve dust and particulates. He has been involved in research that has explored traditional and non-traditional exposure metrics and exposures directly measured in the body. This work has included the assessment of a variety of compounds and health effects, including organic solvents, metals, respirable dust, silica, asbestiform and non-asbestiform elongate mineral particles, fluoroalkyl compounds and others. This work has been multidisciplinary in scope and has involved the fields of medicine, radiology, toxicology, biostatistics, epidemiology and exposure science. Over the last six years, he has been PI for a multi-disciplinary evaluation of exposures and related health issues in the taconite mining industry of Minnesota.
- 1985, M.P.H., Epidemiology, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN
- 1975, Doctor of Medicine, Loyola University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- 1971, Bachelor of Science, University of North Dakota
Watch the Video: Why Jeff Mandel Does What He Does
Cancer, Cancer: Risk Factors / Incidence, Cancer: Screening, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Occupational Health & Safety, Pulmonary Disease
- 1980-1982 Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine University of North Dakota Hospitals
- 1982-1990 Attending Physician/Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine University of Minnesota Medical School/St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center St, Paul, MN
- 1986-1992 Program Director, Occupational Medicine Residency Midwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety University of Minnesota School of Public Health/ St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center Minneapolis, MN
- 1990-1992 Staff Physician in Occupational Medicine Park Nicollet Medical Center/Park Nicollet Medical Foundation St. Louis Park, MN
- 1992-1998 Associate Medical Director 3M Company St. Paul, MN
- 1998-2003 Director, Corporate Occupational Medicine 3M Company St. Paul, MN
- 2003-2006 Senior Managing Scientist Exponent Wood Dale, IL
- 2006-present Associate Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Minnesota School of Public Health
- 2009-present Program Director, NIOSH Occupational Medicine Residency University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine Certificate no. 67113, 1979 Diplomat of the American Board of Preventive/Occupational Medicine Certificate no. 22147, 1986 Fellow of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 1995 Delta Omega Honor Society, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 2008
- Allen EM, Alexander BH, MacLehose RF, Ramachandran G, Mandel JH. Mortality experience among Minnesota taconite mining industry workers.Occup Environ Med. 2014 Nov;71(11):744-9. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2013-102000. Epub 2014 May 9. PMID:24816518
- Hwang J, Ramachandran G, Raynor PC, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. The Relationship between Various Exposure Metrics for Elongate Mineral Particles (EMP) in the Taconite Mining and Processing Industry. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2014 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Olson S, Odo NU, Mandel JH. Burnout and physical activity in Minnesota internal medicine resident physicians. Accepted Journal of Graduate Medical Education.
- Odo NU, Mandel JH, Perlman D, Alexander BA, Scanlon P. Estimates of functional restrictive lung disease for epidemiologic studies in the mining industry: a cross-sectional study. British Medical Journal Online 3(7), 2013. 2013;3:e002561 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013. PMID 23869101
- Hwang J, Ramachandran G, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. A comprehensive assessment of exposures to elongate mineral particles (EMP) in the taconite mining industry. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 57(8):966-978, 2013.
- Bruce G, Cory L, Mandel JH, Pleus RC. Urinary nitrate, thiocyanate, and perchlorate and serum thyroid measures in NHANES 2001-2002. JOEM 55(1):52-58, 2013.
- Alexander BH, Mandel JH, Ramachandran G, Scott LF, Chen YC. Mortality experience of workers employed at a specialty-chemicals research facility. Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health 68(4):218-227, 2013. Online publication February 21, 2013.
- Alexander BH, Raleigh KK, Johnson J, Mandel JH, Adgate K, Ramachandran G, Messing R, Eschenhauer T, Williams A. Radiographic evidence of non-occupational asbestos exposure from processing Libby vermiculite in Minneapolis, MN. Environmental Health Perspectives 120(1):44-49, 2012.
- Chen YC, Ramachandran G, Alexander BH, Mandel JH. Retrospective exposure assessment in a chemical research and development facility. Environment International 39: 111-121, 2012.
- Kelsh MA, Alexander DD, Mink PJ, Mandel JH. Occupational trichloroethylene exposure and kidney cancer: a meta-analysis. Accepted in Epidemiology, June, 2009.
- Mandel J.H. A Review of Health Issues from Taconite Exposure. Minnesota Physician; 22(1):1-13, 2008.
- Sheehan P., Malzahn D., Goswami E., Mandel, J.H. Simulation of benzene exposure during use of a mineral spirit solvent to clean elevator bearings. Human and Environmental Risk Assessment, Accepted, July, 2007.
- Alexander, D., Kelsh, M., Mink, P., Basu, R., Weingart, M., Mandel, J.H. A meta-analysis of occupational trichloroethylene exposure and cancer of the liver and biliary ducts. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. Accepted, April 2007
- Alexander, Dominik; Mink, Pamela; Mandel, Jeffrey; Kelsh, Michael Goodman. A meta-analysis of occupational trichloroethylene exposure and multiple myeloma or leukemia. Occupational Medicine Advanced Access, Aug. 11, 2006 at doi:10.1093/0ccmed/kq1083.
- Mandel, J.H., Kelsh, M., Weingart, M., Alexander, D., Mink, P., Kalmes, R., Goodman, M.. Occupational trichloroethylene exposure and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a review and meta-analysis. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2006; 63:597-607.
- Olsen, G.W., Huang, H.Y., Helzlsouer, K.J., Hansen, K.J., Butenhoff, J.L. and Mandel, J.H. Historical comparison of perfluorooctanesulfonate, perfluorooctanoate and other fluorochemicals in human blood. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2005; 113(5):539-545.
- Olsen, G.W., Church, T.R., Hansen, K.J., Burris, J.M., Butenhoff, J.L., Mandel, J.H., Zobel, L.R. Quantitative Evaluation of perfluorooctanesulfonate and other fluorochemicals in the serum of children. J. Children’s Health. 2004; 2(1):53-76.
- Olsen, G.W., Church, T.R., Larson, E.B., van Belle, G., Lundberg, J.K.. Hansen, K.J., Burris, J.M., Mandel, J.H., Zobel, L.R. Serum concentrations of perfluorooctane- sulfonate and other fluorochemicals in an elderly population from Seattle, Washington. Chemosphere. 2004; 54:1599-1611.
- Olsen G.W., Burris J.M., Berlew M.M., Mandel J.H., Analysis of episodes of care in a perfluorooctanesulfonyl fluoride production facility. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2004; 46(8):837-846.
- Butenhoff, J.L., Gaylor, D.W., Moore, J.M., Olsen, G.W., Rodricks, J., Mandel, J.H. and Zobel, L.R. Characterization of risk for general population exposure to perfluorooctanoate. Reg. Tox. and Pharm. 2004; 39(3):361-378
- Olsen, G.W., Church, T.R., Miller, J.P., Burris, J.M., Hansen, K.J., Lundberg, J.K., Armitage J.B., Herron R.M., Medhdizadehkashi Z., Nobiletti J.B., O’Neill E.M., Mandel, J.H., Zobel, L.R. Perfluorooctanesulfonate and other fluorochemicals in the serum of American red cross adult blood donors. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2003; 111(16):1892-1901.
- Olsen, G.W., Hansen, K.J., Stevenson, L.A., Burris, J.M., Mandel, J.H. Human donor liver and serum concentrations of perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS) and other perfluorochemicals. Env. Sci. Technol. 2003; (37):888-891.
- Olsen, G.W., Logan, P.W., Hansen, K.J., Simpson, C.A., Burris, J.M., Berlew, M.M., Vorarath, S.P., Venkateswarlu, P., Schumpert, J.C., Mandel, J.H. An occupational exposure assessment of a perfluorooctane sulfonate production site: (biomonitoring). American Industrial Hygiene Association. 2003; 64:651-659.
- Olsen, G.W., Burris, J.M., Burlew, M.M., Mandel, J.H. Epidemiologic assessments of worker serum perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) concentrations and medical surveillance examinations. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2003; 45(3):260-270.
- Alexander, B., Olsen, G.W., Burris, J., Mandel, J.H., Mandel, J.S. Mortality of employees of a perfluorooctanesulfphonyl fluoride manufacturing facility. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2003; 60:722-729.
- Olsen, G.W., Church, T.R., Miller, J.P., Burris, J.M., Hansen, K.J., Lundberg, J.K., Armitage, J.B., Herron, R.M., Medhdizadehkashi, Z., Nobiletti, J.B., O’Neill, E.M., Mandel, J.H., Zobel, Perfluorooctanesulfonate and other fluorochemicals in the serum of American red cross adult blood donors. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2003; 111(16):1892-1901.
- Olsen, G.W., Burris, J.M., Burlew,M., Mandel, J.H. Plasma cholecystokinin and hepatic enzymes, cholesterol and lipoproteins in ammonium per-fluorooctanoic acid production workers. Drug and Chemical Toxicology. 2000; 23(4):603-620.
- Mandel, J.H., Carr, P., Hillmer, T., Leonard, P., Halberg, J., Sanderson, W., Mandel, J.S. Safe use of agricultural pesticides in Minnesota; results of a county-wide intervention. Journal of Rural Health. 2000; 16(2 ):148-154.