Research Interests:Obesity prevention and intervention, weight control behaviors, weight loss goals, public health messages
Jennifer Linde received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Iowa. Prior to joining the faculty, she was a research associate in the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health. Her work focuses on weight loss and weight gain prevention, with specific interests in intervention development, public health message delivery, and behavior monitoring during weight control. She was trained as a clinical psychologist and has additional experience in psychiatric diagnosis, psychotherapy, psychometrics, and questionnaire development.
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- M.A., Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- A.B., Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Behavior & Health, Community Intervention, Community-Based Research, Mental Health, Obesity: Adult, Surveys
- PubH 6020 Fundamentals of Social and Behavioral Science – Online
- PubH 6094 Obesity & Eating Disorder Interventions
- PubH 6914 Community Nutrition Intervention
- 2013-present: Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 2011-present: Expert Consultant, Obesity and Eating Disorders Special Interest Group, Society of Behavioral Medicine
- 2005-present: Associate Director, Epidemiology and Intervention Core, Minnesota Obesity Center, University of Minnesota
- 2005-present: Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 2002-2005: Research Associate, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 1999-2001: Project Site Coordinator, Department of Psychology, University of Iowa
- 1998-2000: Psychometrist, Department of Psychiatry, Hennepin County Medical Center
- 1997-1999: Psychology Intern/Fellow, Department of Psychiatry, Hennepin County Medical Center
Member: Obesity Prevention Center
- 2013 Fellow, The Obesity Society
- 2013 Treasurer, International Society for Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity
- 2010 Annals of Behavioral Medicine Top Ten Most Cited Articles, 2005-2009, “Self-Weighing in Weight Gain Prevention and Weight Loss Trials”
- 2009 Elected to Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- 2008 National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Office of Behavioral and Social Science Research: 4th Annual Advanced Training Institute on Health Behavior Theory
- 2004 Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting Citation Paper, “Self-Weighing in Weight Gain Prevention and Weight Loss Trials”
Weight Tracking and Weight Loss Outcomes: Establishing the Standard of Care
Principal Investigator: Dr. Jennifer Linde
Funding Agency: NIH/NIDDK
New Ulm at HOME (NU-HOME)
Principal Investigator: Dr. Jayne Fulkerson
Funding Agency: NIH/NHLBI
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW, Crow SJ, Brelje KL, Pacanowski CR, Gavin KL, Smolenski DJ. The Tracking Study: Description of a randomized controlled trial of variations on weight tracking frequency in a behavioral weight loss program. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2015;40:199-211.
- Linde JA, Sevcik SM, Petrich CA, Gardner JK, Laska MN, Lozano P, Lytle LA. Translating a health behavior change intervention for delivery to two-year college students: The importance of formative research. Translational Behavioral Medicine 2014;4(2):160-169.
- Linde JA, Nygaard KE, MacLehose RF, Mitchell NR, Harnack LJ, Cousins JM, Graham DJ, Jeffery RW. HealthWorks: Results of a multi-component group randomized worksite environmental intervention trial for weight gain prevention. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity 2012;9:14.
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW. Testing a brief self-directed behavioral weight control program. Behavioral Medicine 2011;37(2):47-53.
- Linde JA, Simon GE, Ludman EJ, Ichikawa L, Operskalski BH, Arterburn D, Rohde P, Finch EA, Jeffery RW. A randomized controlled trial of behavioral weight loss treatment versus combined weight loss/depression treatment among women with comorbid obesity and depression. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 2011;41(1):119-130.
- Linde JA, Wall MM, Haines J, Neumark-Sztainer D. Predictors of initiation and persistence of unhealthy weight control behaviours in adolescents. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2009;6:72.
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW, Finch EA, Simon GE, Ludman EJ, Operskalski BH, Ichikawa L, Rohde, P. Relation of body mass index to depression and weighing frequency in overweight women. Preventive Medicine 2007;45:75-79.
- Linde JA, Rothman AJ, Baldwin AS, Jeffery RW. The impact of self-efficacy on behavior change and weight change among overweight participants in a weight loss trial. Health Psychology 2006;25(3):282-291.
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW, French SA, Pronk NP, Boyle RG. Self-weighing in weight gain prevention and weight loss trials. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 2005;30:210-216.
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW, Finch EA, Ng DM, Rothman AJ. Are unrealistic weight loss goals associated with outcomes in obese women? Obesity Research 2004;12:569-576.