Research Interests: Use of simulation modeling to evaluate clinical and public health strategies; description of errors and biases that can occur in disease modeling; evaluation of national trends in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality; effects of disparities in screen
Karen Kuntz received her master’s and doctorate, both in biostatistics, from the Harvard School of Public Health. She has been a leader, and has an outstanding reputation, in the field of medical decision making. She is the principal investigator of a Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network (CISNET) grant, funded by the National Cancer Institute, to evaluate national trends in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Other research interests include statistical evaluation of the obesity epidemic, the development of an asthma policy model, and evaluation of the impact of disparities in cancer-related outcomes.
- ScD, Biostatistics (Health Decision Sciences), Harvard School of Public Health, 1993
- MS, Biostatistics (Health Decision Sciences), Harvard School of Public Health, 1990
- BA, Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1983
Cancer: Screening, Cancer: Treatment & Outcomes, Decision Analysis
Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2006 to present Adjunct Professor of Decision Science, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, 2006 to present Associate Professor of Decision Science, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, 2000 to 2006 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1998 to 2006 Assistant Professor of Decision Science, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, 1997 to 2000 Instructor in Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1993 to 1998
President, Society for Medical Decision Making, 2004 to 2005 Harvard School of Public Health Mentoring Award, 2004 Vice President, Society for Medical Decision Making, 1999 to 2000 Lee Lusted Student Award, Society for Medical Decision Making, 1993 ENAR Student Award, Biometric Society, 1993 National Library of Medicine Medical Informatics Training Fellowship, 1989 to 1992
- De Gonzalez AB, Kim KP, Knudsen AB, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Rutter CM, Smith-Bindman R, Yee J, Kuntz KM, van Ballegooijen M, Zauber AG, Berg CD. Radiation-related cancer risks from CT colonography screening: A risk-benefit analysis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011;196:816-23.
- Kuntz KM, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Rutter CM, Knudsen AB, van Ballegooijen M, Savarino JE, Feuer EJ, Zauber AG. A systematic comparison of microsimulation models of colorectal cancer: The role of assumptions about adenoma progression. Med Decis Making 2011;31:530-539.
- van Ballegooijen M,Rutter CM, Knudsen AB, Zauber AG,Savarino J, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Boer R, Feuer EJ, Habbena DF, Kuntz KM. Clarifying differences in natural history between models of screening: The case of colorectal cancer. Med Decis Making 2011;31:540-549.
- Elliott SP, Wilt TJ, Kuntz KM. Projecting the clinical benefits of adjuvant radiotherapy versus observation and selective salvage radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy: A decision analysis. Prostate Cancer and Prostetic Diseases 2011;14:270-277.
- Haug U, Kuntz KM, Knudsen AB, Hundt S, Brenner H. Sensitivity of immunochemical faecal occult blood testing for detecting left- versus right-sides colorectal neoplasia. Br J Cancer 2011; 104:1779-1785.
- Kuntz KM, Fenwick E, Briggs A. Appropriate cohorts for cost-effectiveness analysis: To mix or not to mix. Med Decis Making 2010;30:424-5.
- Bentley TGK, Kuntz KM, Ringel JS. Bias associated with failing to incorporate dependence on event history in Markov models. Med Decis Making 2010;30:651-660.
- Yeh JM, Chin H, Kuntz KM, Ezzati M, Goldie SJ. Cost-effectiveness of treatment and endoscopic surveillance of precancerous lesions to prevent gastric cancer. Cancer 2010;116:2941-53.
- Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Kuntz KM, Knudsen AB,Wilschut J, Zauber AG, van Ballegooijen M. Stool DNA testing to screen for colorectal cancer in the Medicare population: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Ann Intern Med 2010;153:368-77.
- Knudsen AB, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Rutter CM, Savarino JE, van Ballegooijen M, Kuntz KM, Zauber AG. Cost-effectiveness of computed tomographic colonography screening for colorectal cancer in the Medicare population. J Natl Cancer Inst 2010;102:1238-52.
- Wang S, Kuntz KM, Tuttle TM, Kane RL. Incorporating margin status information in treatment decisions for women with ductal carcinoma in situ: A decision analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010;124:393-402.