Research Interests:Health care policy, quality of care, women’s health, vulnerable populations, analysis of administrative/claims data, longitudinal methods
I conduct research to inform the development, implementation, and evaluation of health policy that impacts reproductive-age women and their families. I am particularly interested in institutional and government policies affecting health care delivery, quality, and outcomes during the perinatal period. I also conduct research on policy impacts among special populations, including working mothers, racial and ethnic minorities, low-income women, and rural populations. My current research examines the measurement and improvement of maternity care quality, with a focus on vulnerable populations and geographic variations.
- Ph.D., Health Policy, Harvard University, 2009
- M.P.A., Public Policy and Administration, Princeton University, 2003
- B.A., International Relations and Spanish (summa cum laude), University of Minnesota, 1999
NEW! INITIAL FINDINGS
Medicaid Coverage of Doula Services in Minnesota: Preliminary findings from the first year.
Interim Report to the Minnesota Department of Human Services, July 2015:
Disparities, Health Care Reform, Health Policy & Management, Maternal Health, Medicaid / Medicare, Policy / Politics, Quality of Care, Reproductive Health, Women’s Health
- Assistant Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2010 – present
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2009-2010
- Project Manager, Ibis Reproductive Health, Cambridge, MA, 2003-2005
- Consultant, Population Services International, Washington, DC, 2003
- Consultant, World Bank, Maputo, Mozambique, 2002
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor, Hopkins Public Schools, Hopkins, MN, 2000-2001
- Peace Corps Volunteer, United States Peace Corps, Inhambane Province, Mozambique, 1999-2000
- Health Affairs Top 15 Most-Read Articles in 2013 “Cesarean delivery rates vary 10-fold among US hospitals; reducing variation may address quality and cost issues.” (2014)
- Minnesota Population Center’s IHIS Research Award “National Trends in Health Insurance Coverage of Pregnant and Reproductive-Age Women, 2000-2009″ (2013)
- Honorable mention, Gibbs prize for the best article published in 2012 by the journal Women’s Health Issues for the paper “National Trends in Health Insurance Coverage of Pregnant and Reproductive-Age Women, 2000 to 2009.” (2013)
- Elected and inducted into the Pi Chapter of Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health (2013)
- University of Minnesota Institute for Diversity, Equity and Advocacy (IDEA) Multicultural Research Award (2011)
- Harvard University Joan P. Curhan Citizenship Award (2009)
- Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Certificate of Distinction in Teaching (2006, 2008)
- Harvard University Graduate Prize Fellowship (2005-2009)
- Princeton University Benjamin R. Fielding Summer Internship Award (2002)
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship (1999)
- University of Minnesota A.I. Johnson Award for Public Service (1998)
- University of Minnesota Roger Page Freshman Leadership Award (1997)
- Kozhimannil KB, Casey M, Hung P, Han X, Prasad S, Moscovice IS. The Rural Obstetric Workforce in US Hospitals: Challenges and Opportunities . Journal of Rural Health , Accepted for publication.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Yang YT, Avery MD, Declercq E. Midwifery care and patient – provider communication in maternity decisions in the United States . Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2015 Feb 10 doi: 10.1007/s10995 – 015 – 1671 – 8 [Epub ahead of print] .
- Attanasio LB , Kozhimannil KB, Jou J , McPherson M, Camann W. Women’s experiences with labor epidural analgesia: A qualitative and qua ntitative analysis . Anesthesia & Analgesia , 2014 Nov 19 doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000000546 [Epub ahead of print].
- Skeldon S, Kozhimannil KB, Majumdar SR, Law MR. The effect of competing direct – to – consumer advertising campaigns on the use of drugs for benign prostatic hyperplasia: ti me series analysis. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2014 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print] .
- .Kozhimannil KB, Enns E, Blauer – Peterson C, Farris J, Kahn K, Kulasingam S. Behavioral and Community Correlates of Adolescent Pregnancy and Chlamydia Rates in Rural Coun ties in Minnesota. Journal of Community Health , 28 OCT 2014 | DOI: 10.1007/s10900 – 014 – 9962 – 3 . [Epub ahead of print].
- Goyal N, Attanasio LB, Kozhimannil KB . Hospital care and early breastfeeding outcomes among late preterm, early – term, and term infants. Birth, 2014; 41(4): 330 – 338.
- Kozhimannil KB, Arcaya MC, Subramanian SV. Maternal Clinical Diagnoses and Hospital Variation in the Risk of Cesarean Delivery: Analyses of a National US Hospital Discharge Database . PLOS Medicine, 2014; 11(10): e1001745. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001745 . Press coverage: WCCO TV (Minneapolis CBS Affiliate) , KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Minneapolis Star Tribune, St. Paul Pioneer Press, New York Daily News, Medical News Today.
- Jou J, Kozhimannil KB, Johnson PJ, Sakala C. Patient – Perceived Pressure from Clinicians for Labor Induction and Cesarean Deli very. Health Services Research, 2014 Sep 23. doi: 10.1111/1475 – 6773.12231. [Epub ahead of print] . Press coverage: Health Behavior News Service, Minnesota Public Radio.
- Kozhiman n il KB, Attanasio LB, Johnson PJ, Gjerdingen DK, McGovern PM. Employment during pregnancy and obstetric intervention without medical indication: labor induction and cesarean delivery. Women’s Health Issues , 2014; 24(5 ) : 469 – 476.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Jou J, Joarnt LK, Johnson PJ, Gjerdingen DK. Potential benefits of increased access to doula support during childbirth. A merican Journal of Managed Care , 2014; 20(8): e111 – e121. Press coverage: KSTP TV (Minneapolis ABC Affiliate), Huffington Post.
- Kozhimannil KB , Jou J, Attanasio LB, Joarnt L K , McGovern PM. Medically complex pregnancies and early breastfeeding behaviors: a retrospective analysis . PLO S One, 2014; 9(8): e104820. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0104820 . Press coverage: WCCO TV (Minneapolis CBS Affiliate), Minnesota Public Radio.
- Thao V , Kozhimannil KB, Thomas W, Golberstein E. Variation in Inpatient Costs of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation Among Transplant Centers in the United States. JAMA Internal Medicine , 16 June 2014 [E – pub ahead of print] doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.2302
- Kozhimannil KB, Macheras M, Lorch SA. Trends in childbirth before 39 weeks’ gestation without medical indication. Medical Care, accepted for publication.
- Shippee TP, Kozhimannil KB, Rowan K, Virnig B. Health insurance coverage and racial disparities in breast reconstruction after mastectomy. Women’s Health Issues, accepted for publication.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Jou J, Joarnt LK, Johnson PJ, Gjerdingen DK. Potential benefits of increased access to doula support during childbirth. American Journal of Managed Care: accepted for publication.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hung P, Prasad S, Casey M, McClellan-Trick M, Moscovice IS. Birth volume and the quality of obstetric care in rural hospitals. Journal of Rural Health, 1 Feb 2014 [E-pub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/jrh.12061.
- Gjerdingen DK, McGovern PM, Attanasio L, Johnson PJ, Kozhimannil KB. The relationship between postpartum depressive symptoms, employment, and social support. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 2014;27(1):87-96.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hung P, Prasad S, Casey M, Moscovice IS. Rural-urban differences in obstetric care trends, 2002-2010, and implications for the future. Medical Care, 2014;52(1):4-9. Press coverage: Kaiser Health News, Medscape, Medical X-press, Science Daily, Nurse.com.
- Kozhimannil KB, Johnson PJ, Attanasio LB, Gjerdingen DK, McGovern PM. Use of non-medical methods of labor induction and pain management among U.S. women. Birth, 2013: 40(4):227-236.
- Attanasio LB, McPherson ME, Kozhimannil KB. Positive childbirth experiences in U.S. hospitals: a mixed methods exploration. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2013 Sep 28 [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1007/s10995-013-1363-1. Press coverage: HealthTalk.
- Attanasio LB, Kozhimannil KB, McGovern P, Gjerdingen D, Johnson PJ. The impact of prenatal employment on breastfeeding intention and initiation. Journal of Human Lactation, 2013;29(4):620-628.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Hardeman RR, O’Brien M. Doula care supports near-universal breastfeeding initiation among diverse, low-income women. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 2013; 58(4):378-382. Press coverage: Minneapolis Star Tribune, Childbirth Collective.
- Kozhimannil KB, Fontaine PL. Care from family physicians reported by pregnant women in the United States. Annals of Family Medicine. 2013;11(4)350-354. Press coverage: Kaiser Health News, Medical Xpress.
- Kozhimannil KB, Sommerness S, Rauk P, Gams R, Davis S, Miller K, Hirt C, Landers D. A perinatal care quality and safety initiative: hospital costs and potential savings. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 2013;39(8)339-348.
- Kozhimannil KB, Law MR, Blauer-Peterson C, Zhang F, Wharam JF. The impact of high-deductible health plans on men and women: an analysis of emergency department care. Medical Care, 2013;51(8):639-45. Press coverage: New York Times, National Public Radio, MarketWatch/Wall Street Journal, Minneapolis Star Tribune, American Medical News, Chicago Tribune.
- Kozhimannil KB, Shippee TP, Adegoke O, Virnig BA. Trends in hospital-based childbirth care: the role of health insurance. American Journal of Managed Care, 2013;19(4):e125-e132.
- Kozhimannil KB, Law MR, Virnig BA. Cesarean delivery rates vary 10-fold among US hospitals; reducing variation may address quality and cost issues. Health Affairs. 2013;32(3)527-535. Press coverage: New York Times, Kaiser Health News, ABC News, U.S. News and World Report, Huffington Post, Minnesota Public Radio, Star Tribune, KCBS Radio (San Francisco – CBS affiliate), KARE 11 TV (Minneapolis – NBC affiliate), MinnPost, WebMD, Consumer Reports, Medscape.
- Kozhimannil KB, Hardeman R, Attanasio L, Blauer-Peterson C, O’Brien M. Doula care and birth outcomes: the potential for improving care and reducing costs for diverse, low-income women. American Journal of Public Health, 2013;103(4): e113–e121. Legislation: Minnesota Senate File 699; Press coverage: Huffington Post, KSTP TV (Minneapolis – ABC affiliate), Star Tribune, MinnPost, Health Talk, Medscape, AJPH Blog, Daily Beast.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio L, McGovern PM, Gjerdingen DK, Johnson PJ. Re-evaluating the relationship between prenatal work and birth outcomes: a policy-relevant application of propensity score analysis. Women’s Health Issues, 2013: 23(2)e77-e85. Press coverage: U.S. News and World Report, Minnesota Public Radio, WCCO (Minneapolis – CBS affiliate), Minneapolis Star Tribune.
- Kozhimannil KB, Avery MD, Terrell CA. Recent trends in clinicians providing care to pregnant women in the United States. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health. 2012;57(5)433-438.
- Kozhimannil KB, Abraham JM, Virnig BA. National trends in health insurance coverage of pregnant and reproductive-age women. Women’s Health Issues. 2012:22(2)e135-e141. Press coverage: Minnesota Public Radio, Minnesota Daily, Minnesota Magazine.
- Kozhimannil KB, Trinacty CM, Busch AB, Huskamp HA, Adams AS. Racial/ethnic disparities in postpartum depression care among low-income women. Psychiatric Services. 2011:62(6)619-625. Press coverage: The Houston Chronicle.
- Kozhimannil KB, Adams AS, Soumerai SB, Busch AB, Huskamp HA. New Jersey’s efforts to improve postpartum depression care did not change treatment patterns for women on Medicaid. Health Affairs. 2011:30(2)293-301.Press coverage: New Jersey Record, New Jersey Public Television, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Mental Health Weekly Digest.
- Kozhimannil KB, Huskamp HA, Graves AJ, Soumerai SB, Ross-Degnan D, Wharam JF. High-deductible health plans and costs and utilization of maternity care. American Journal of Managed Care. 2011;17(1)e15-e24.
- Kozhimannil KB, Valera MR, Adams AS, Ross-Degnan D. The population-level impacts of a national health insurance program and franchise midwife clinics on achievement of prenatal and delivery care standards in the Philippines. Health Policy 2009;92(1)55-64.
- Kozhimannil KB, Pereira M, Harlow BL. Association between diabetes and perinatal depression among low-income mothers. JAMA 2009;301(8)842-847. Press coverage: Reuters, National Public Radio, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, WebMD, Medscape, Health Day, InsiderMedicine.