Research Interests: Cancer etiology, laboratory-based cancer epidemiology, early detection of cancer pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, adult solid tumors.
Kristin Anderson received her Ph.D. in oncology at the University of Wisconsin’s McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research. She did postdoctoral work at the Institute of Cancer Research in London that included work on genetics and breast cancer, HPV and cervical cancer and Lung cancer in welders. She returned to the U.S. and received an M.P.H. in Epidemiology at the University of Minnesota. Her primary interest is in cancer etiology. Professor Anderson’s current research includes studies of pancreatic, colon, breast, and lung cancers. She collaborates with laboratory-based scientists, biostatisticians, clinicians and other epidemiologists
Dr. Anderson is actively involved at the University level in promoting best practices in graduate and professional student advising.
- M.P.H. in Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Ph.D. in Oncology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.S. in Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, Twin Cities
- 2013 – Present, Associate Dean for Learning Systems & Student Affairs
- 2002 – Present, Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health
- 1993 -2002, Assistant Professor
Institute of Cancer Research
- 1986 – 1989, Post-doctoral Scientist, Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research
- 1976-1984, Research Fellow, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Favorite quote: Instead of having “answers” on a math test, they should just call them “impressions,” and if you got a different “impression,” so what, can’t we all be brothers? – Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
- 2009 School of Public Health Excellence in Advising Award, University of Minnesota
- 2004 Outstanding Contributions to Post-baccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, University of Minnesota
- 2004 Member, Academy of Distinguished Teachers, University of Minnesota
- 2002 Charles N. Hewitt Creative Teaching Award, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1992 Elected to Delta Omega – Honorary Public Health Society
Cancer etiology, laboratory-based cancer epidemiology, early detection of cancer pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, adult solid tumors.
- Olson SH, Hsu M, Satagopan J, Maisonneuve P, Silverman D, La Vecchia C, Talamini R, Polesel J, Bracci P, Fontham E, Luckett B, Cotterchio M, Bordiga A, Dai Q, Ji B-T, Anderson K, Strayer L, Seminara D. (2013) Allergies and risk of pancreatic cancer: a pooled analysis from the Pancreatic Cancer Case-Control Consortium (PanC4). Am J Epidemiol 178(5):691-700.
- Henry SA, Prizment AE, Anderson KE. (2013) Duration of diabetes and pancreatic cancer in a case-control study in the Midwest and The Iowa Women’s Health Study (IWHS) cohort. JOP (online) 14(3):243-249.
- Anderson KE, Mongin SJ, Sinha R, Stolzenberg-Solomon R, Gross MD, Ziegler RG, Mabie JE, Risch A, Kazin SS, Church TR. (2012) Pancreatic cancer risk: Associations with meat-derived carcinogen intake in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial (PLCO) cohort. Mol Carcinog 51(1):128-137.
- Prizment AE, Anderson KE, Visvanathan K, Folsom AR. (2011) Inverse association of eosinophil count with colorectal cancer incidence: Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20(9):1861-1864.
- Tan X-L, Reid-Lombardo KM, Bamlet WR, Oberg AL, Robinson DP, Anderson KE, Peterson GM. (2011) Aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), acetaminophen, and pancreatic cancer risk: A clinic-based case-control study. Cancer Prev Res 11:1835-1841.
- Inoue-Choi M, Flood A, Robien K, Anderson K. (2011) Nutrients, food groups, dietary patterns and risk of pancreatic cancer in postmenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 220(4):711- 714.
- Prizment A, Anderson K, Visvanathan K, Folsom A. (2011) Association of inflammatory markers with colorectal cancer incidence in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2:297-307.
- Lazovich D, Vogel RI, Berwick M, Weinstock MA, Anderson K, Warshaw E. (2010) Indoor tanning and risk of melanoma: A case-control study in a highly exposed population—Response. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:2685-2686 (letter).
- Church TR, Anderson KE, Le C, Zhang Y, Kampa DM, Benoit AR, Yoder AR, Carmella SG, Hecht SS. (2010) Temporal stability of urinary and plasma biomarkers of tobacco smoke exposure among cigarette smokers. Biomarkers 15(4):345-52.
- Church TR, Anderson KE, Caporaso NE, Geisser MS, Le C, Zhang Y, Benoit AR, Carmella SG, Hecht SS. (2009) A prospectively measured serum biomarker for a tobacco-specific carcinogen and lung cancer in smokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18(1):260-266.
- Anderson KE, Kadlubar FF, Kulldorff M, Harnack L, Gross M, Lang NP, Barber C, Rothman N, Sinha R. (2005) Dietary intake of heterocyclic amines and benzo(a)pyrene: Associations with pancreatic cancer. Cancer Epi Biomarkers Prev 14:2261-2265.