Research Interests:Evaluating public health and policy approaches to improving diet for obesity prevention. Developing improved methods for assessing food and nutrient intake.
Lisa Harnack is professor and director of the Nutrition Coordinating Center in the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health. She also co-directs the University of Minnesota Obesity Prevention Center. She received her doctorate in public health nutrition from the University of California-Berkeley and received postdoctoral training in cancer epidemiology at the University of Minnesota. Her research focuses on evaluating public health and policy approaches to improving diet for obesity prevention.
- Dr.P.H. in Public Health Nutrition, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- M.P.H. in Public Health Nutrition, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- B.S. in Dietetics, University of Wisconsin at Stout, Menomonie, WI
Director, Nutrition Coordinating Center
Co-Director: Obesity Prevention Center
Member: University of Minnesota Cancer Center
Nutrition / Diet, Obesity, Obesity: Adult, Obesity: Child, Outcomes / Measures
- 2010 – Present: Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2007- Present: Director, Nutrition Coordinating Center, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 2003-2010 Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1998-2003: Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, and Assistant Director, Nutrition Coordinating Center, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1996-1998: Research Associate, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1989-1991: Clinical Dietitian, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, MN
Over 125 peer-reviewed publications
- Honors MA, Harnack LJ, Zhou X, Steffen LM. Trends in fatty acid intake of adults in the Minneapolis-St Paul, MN Metropolitan area, 1980-1982 through 2007-2009. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Oct 22;3(5):e001023.
- Rudelt A, French S, Harnack L. Fourteen-year trends in sodium content of menu offerings at eight leading fast-food restaurants in the USA. Public Health Nutrition. 2014 Aug;17(8):1682-8.
- Meyer K, Harnack LJ, Luepker RV, Zhou X, Jacobs D, Steffen L. Twenty-two year population trends in sodium and potassium consumption: the Minnesota heart survey. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2013;2(5):e000478. PMCID:PMC3835264
- Hearst MO, Harnack L, Bauer KW, Earnest AA, French SA, Oakes JM. Nutritional quality at eight U.S. fast-food chains: 14-year trends. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013; 44(6):589-94.
- Harnack LJ, Oakes JM, French A, Rydell SA, Farah FM, Taylor GL. Results from an experimental trial at a Head Start center to evaluate two meal service approaches to increase fruit and vegetable intake of preschool aged children. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2012;9:51. PMCID:PMC3419662
- Harnack LJ, French SA, Oakes JM, Story MT, Jeffery RW, Rydell SA. Effects of calorie labeling and value size pricing on fast food meal choices: Results from an experimental trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2008;5(1): 63. PMCID: PMC2621234
- Harnack LJ, Stevens M, Van Heel N, Schakel S, Dwyer J, Himes J. A computer-based approach for assessing dietary supplement use in conjunction with dietary recalls. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 2008;21:S78-S82. PMCID: PMC2151738
- Harnack LJ, Lytle L, Story M, Galuska DA, Schmitz K, Jacobs DR, Gao S. Reliability and validity of a brief questionnaire to assess calcium intake of middle-school-age children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2006;106(11):1790-1795.
- Harnack LJ, Himes JH, Anliker J, Clay T, Gittelsohn J, Jobe JB, Ring K, Snyder P, Thompson J, Weber JL. Intervention-related bias in reporting of food intake by fifth-grade children participating in an obesity prevention study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2004;160(11):1117-1121.
- Harnack LJ, Steffen L, Arnett DK, Gao S, Luepker RV. Accuracy of Estimation of large food portions. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2004;104:804-806.