Research Interests:Dr. Blewett directs the State Health Access Data Assistance Center, funded by The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to conduct research and provide technical assistance to states on efforts to measure and monitor health insurance coverage and inform state health policy.
Lynn Blewett directs the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), a research and policy center funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to support state efforts to monitor and evaluate programs to increase access and coverage. The Center provides high level access to federal surveys such as the Current Population Survey (CPS), the American Community Survey (ACS) which are accessible through an online Data Center. She also heads up a new project to provide technical assistance to 10 states committed to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act as part of the State Health Reform Assistance Network. She helped to bring a Census Research Data Center to the University of Minnesota and is the only RDC with a health services and policy focus. She has collaborated with the Minnesota Population Center which houses one of Dr. Blewett’s NIHCD projects to harmonize and integrate over 50 years of the NHIS to make it access for academic and policy research. Dr. Blewett teaches U.S. Health Care Systems and Public Health and International Health Systems and works with both Masters and Doctoral-level students. Graduates who have worked with Dr. Blewett have had positions with the Census Bureau, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Congressional Research Service, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Centers for Disease and Prevention.
- PhD, Health Services Research, Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- MA, Public Affairs, Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- BA, Psychology, University of Wisconsin
- Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2010 – Present
- Director, State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2001 to present
- Associate Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2004 – 2010
- Assistant Professor, Division of Health Services Research and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1998 – 2004
- Director, Health Economics Program and State Health Economist, Minnesota-Department of Health
- Project Director/Senior Research Associate, Institute for Health Services Research and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- Consultant-Health Policy, Lewin and Associates, Washington, D.C.
- Legislative Aide-Health Policy, Office of Senator Dave Durenberger, U.S. Senate, Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee on Health, Washington, D.C.
- Member (elected), Governing Board, AcademyHealth, (2008 – present).
- Chair (appointed by HHS Secretary Sebelius). Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Health Statistics, CDC (2009 to 2011).
- Member (appointed by HHS Secretary Levitt), Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Health Statistics, CDC (2007 – 2009).
- Member- National Academy of Social Insurance, 2006 to present
- Leonard M. Schuman Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, 2006
- Delta Omega Honorary Society, Public Health, 1992
- Agency for Health Services Research-Dissertation Grant, 1990
- National Institute of Health Trainee, 1988 – 1989
- Division of HSRP Fellowship, 1987 – 1988
- Blewett, Lynn A., Kathleen T. Call and Schelomo Marmor. Health Reform and the US Virgin Islands. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. Forthcoming 2012.
- Davern, Michael, Lynn A. Blewett, Brian Lee, Michel Boudreaux, and Miriam King. Use of the Integrated Health Interview Series: Trends in Medical Provider Utilization (1972-2008) Epidemiologic Perspectives & Innovations 2012, 9:2.
- Blewett, Lynn A., Bindman, Andrew B. Harvesting the lessons of state health policy. Health Services Research. 46(1 Pt 2):246-50, 2011.
- Boudreaux, Michel*, Ziegenfuss J.Y., Graven, Peter,* Davern, Michael, Blewett, Lynn A. Counting uninsurance and means-tested coverage in the American community survey: a comparison to the current population survey. Health Services Research. 46(1 Pt 1):210-31, 2011.
- Blewett, Lynn A, Spencer*, Donna, Burke, Donna, Courtney. State high risk pools: An update on the Minnesota Comprehensive Health Association. American Journal of Public Health. 101(2):231-7, 2011.
- Johnson P.J., Blewett Lynn A., Davern, Michael. Disparities in public use data availability for race, ethnic, and immigrant groups: national surveys for healthcare disparities research. Medical Care. 48(12):1122-7, 2010.
- Johnson, Pamela Jo, Blewett, Lynn A., Davern, Michael. American Indian/Alaska Native uninsurance disparities: a comparison of 3 surveys. American Journal of Public Health., 100(10): 1972-1979, 2010.
- Blewett, Lynn A., Johnson, Pamela Jo, Davern, Michael. Immigrant children’s access to health care: differences by global region of birth. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved. 21(2 Suppl):13-31, 2010.
- Johnson, Pamela Jo, Call, Kathleen T., Blewett, Lynn A. The importance of geographic data aggregation in assessing disparities in American Indian prenatal care. American Journal of Public Health, 100 (1):122-128, 2010.
- Chou, Chiu-Fang, Johnson, Pamela Jo, Blewett, Lynn A. Immigration and selected indicators of health status and healthcare utilization among the Chinese. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health. 12(4):470-9, 2010.
- Blewett, Lynn A. Persistent disparities in access to care across health care systems: A response to gusmano Michael K, et al. Achieving horizontal equity: must we have a single payer health system? Journal of Health Policy Politics and Law, 34(4):635-47, 2009.