Pinar Karaca-Mandic, PhD., is an associate professor at the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Management. She is also a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research’s Health Economics and Healthcare programs. She serves as an Associate Editor of Forum for Health Eonomics and Policy. Her research focuses on health insurance benefit design, health care regulations, insurance markets, pharmaceutical use, and medical technology diffusion. Her research has been published in leading economics, policy and medical journals. Her research has been funded by the National Institute on Aging, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. She is the recipient of a KO1 career grant from the National Institutes of Health through which she has been studying physician medical technology adoption. Dr. Karaca-Mandic received her Ph.D. in economics from the University of California-Berkeley in 2004, and her B.A, in economics and mathematics from Swarthmore College.
Economics, Health Care Reform, Health Policy & Management, Insurance, Prescription Drugs, Medical Devices
- Associate Professor, Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. 09/2007-present
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 04/11-present
- Graduate Faculty, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. 12/2007-present
- Faculty Member, Minnesota Population Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. 03/2008-present
- Adjunct Economist, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA. 10/2007-07/2010
- Associate Economist, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA. 09/2004-09/2007
- Visiting Associate in Economics, Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA. 03/2006-08/2006
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research, Health Economics Program and Health Care Program 2014-present
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2011-2014
- Selected Faculty Member, Delta Omega, Honorary Society in Public Health, 2011
- National Institutes of Health, K01 Career Grant, 09/2010-09/2015
- The Top 10 Corporate and Securities Articles of 2009 recognition by Corporate Practice Commentator, Vanderbilt University for “Going-Private Decisions and The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002″ (Teachers in corporate securities law were asked to select the best corporate and securities articles from a list of articles published and indexed in legal journals in 2009. More than 500 articles were on the list).
- Academic Health Center, Faculty Development Grant, University of Minnesota, 2010-2012
- Academic Progress Award, Graduate Division, UC Berkeley, Spring 2003.
- Dean’s Normative Time Fellowship, Graduate Division, UC Berkeley, Fall 2002.
- Continuing Student Fellowship, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley, 2001.
- Summer Fellowship, Graduate Division, UC Berkeley, 2001.
- Olin Foundation Research Assistantship, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002.
- Summer Workshop Award, Social Science Research Council, Summer 1999.
- First Year Fellowship, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley, 1998-1999.
- High Honors, Swarthmore College Honors Program, 1998.
- Adams Prize for the Best Empirical Economics Paper, Swarthmore College, 1998.
- Selected Member, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), 1997.
- Selected Member, Sigma Xi Honorary Scientific Society, 1996-1998.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology, 1996.
Health insurance benefit design, health care regulations and insurance markets, medical technology diffusion, prescription drugs, medical devices.
- Brayton K., Hirsch A., O’Brien P, Cheville A., Karaca-Mandic P., Rockson S. “Lymphedema Prevalence and Treatment Benefits in Cancer: Impact of a Therapeutic Intervention on Health Outcomes and Costs”, PLOS ONE, forthcoming
- Krinn K., Karaca-Mandic P., Blewett L. “State-Based Marketplaces Using Clearinghouse Plan Management Models are Associated with Lower Premiums”, Health Affairs, forthcoming
- Lin C.W, Karaca-Mandic P., McCullough J., Weaver L. “Access to Oral Osteoporosis Drugs among Female Medicare Part D Beneficiaries “, forthcoming in Women’s Health Issues
- Jena, A., Goldman D., Weaver L, Karaca-Mandic, P. “Opioid Prescribing by Multiple Providers in Medicare: Retrospective Observational Study of Insurance Claims”, British Medical Journal, February 19, 2014
- Abraham J., Karaca-Mandic P., Simon K. “How has the Affordable Care Act’s Medical Loss Ratio Regulation Affected Insurer Behavior?,” forthcoming, Medical Care
- Przedworski, J.M., McAlpine D., Karaca-Mandic, P., VanKim N.A. “Health and health risks among sexual minority women: an examination of three subpopulations”, forthcoming, American Journal of Public Health
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Choi S., Lee J. Scal P. “Family Out-of-Pocket Health Care Burden and Children’s Unmet or Delayed Health Care”, Academic Pediatrics, 2014, 14(1):101-108
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Abraham J., Simon K. “Is the Medical Loss Ratio a Good Target Measure for Regulation in the Individual Market for Health Insurance?” forthcoming in Health Economics, Article first published online: 4 OCT 2013, doi: 10.1002/hec.3002
- Abraham J., Karaca-Mandic, P., Boudreaux M. “Sizing Up the Individual Market for Health Insurance: A Comparison of Survey and Administrative Data Sources”, Medical Care Research and Review, 2013, Aug; 70(4): 418-33
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Lee, J. “Hospitalizations and Fatalities in Crashes with Light Trucks”, Traffic Injury Prevention, 2013, June 14, DOI:10.1080/15389588.2013.803279
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Choi Yoo, S. Sommers B.D. “Recession Led to a Decline in Out-of-Pocket Spending For Children With Special Health Care Needs”, Health Affairs, 2013, June, 32(6)
- Jena A., Karaca-Mandic, P., Weaver L., Seabury S. “Predicting new diagnoses of human immunodeficiency virus infection using internet search engine data”, Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2013, 01/2013; DOI:10.1093/cid/cit022
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Swenson T., Abraham J., Kane B. “Association of Medicare Part D medication out-of-pocket costs with utilization of statin medications”, Health Services Research,2013 48(4): 1311-1333
- Ben-Ner, A, Karaca-Mandic, P., Ren, T. “Ownership and Quality in Markets with Asymmetric Information: Evidence from Nursing Homes”, B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 2012; Volume 12, Article 42
- Karaca-Mandic P., Jena A., Joyce G., Goldman, D “ Out-of-pocket medication costs, and the use of medications and health care services among children with asthma”, Journal of the American Medical Association, 2012; 307(12): 1284-1291
- Karaca-Mandic P., Abraham J., Phelps C. “How do Health Insurance Loading Fees Vary by Group Size?: Implications for Healthcare Reform”, International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, DOI: 10.1007/s10754-011-9096-4, 2011 Karaca-Mandic, Pinar
- Chen, Song, Karaca-Mandic, P, Levin R. “Who values information from a health plan Internet-based decision tool and why: a demographic and utilization analysis”, Health Services Research, DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2011.01309.x, 2011
- Karaca-Mandic, P. Norton E., Dowd B. “Interaction Terms in Non-Linear Models”, Health Services Research, DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2011.01314.x, 2011
- Karaca-Mandic P. “Role of Complementarities in Technology Adoption: The Case of DVD Players”, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Volume 9, Issue 2 (2011), Page 179-210
- Karaca-Mandic, P., McCullough J., Mustaqeem S., Van Houten HK, Shah N., “The Impact of New Drugs and Biologicals on Colorectal Cancer Treatment and Costs”, joint issue of American Journal of Managed Care and Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), doi: 10.1200/JOP.2011.000302 JOP May 2011 vol. 7 no. 3S e30s-e37s
- Kapur K., Karaca-Mandic P., Gates S. Fulton B. “Do Small Group Health Insurance Regulations Influence Small Business Size?”, Journal of Risk and Insurance. doi: 10.1111/j.1539- 6975.2011.01421.x, 2011
- Abraham JM., Karaca-Mandic, P., “Regulating the Medical Loss Ratio: Implications for the Individual Market”, American Journal of Managed Care, Vol. 17, Number 3, March 2011 (lead article)
- Karaca-Mandic P. Joyce G. Goldman D. Laouri M. “Cost Sharing, Family Health Care Burden, and the Use of Specialty Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis”, Health Services Research, 45: 1227–1250, 2010
- Gates S. Karaca-Mandic P., Burgdorf B., Kapur K. “Health Savings Accounts for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs: Shopping, Take-Up and Implementation Challenges”, Open Health Services and Policy Journal, 3,10-20, 2010
- Karaca-Mandic P., Ridgeway G. “Behavioral Impact of Graduated Driver Licensing on Teenage Driving Risk and Exposure”, Journal of Health Economics, Vol 29(1):48-61, 2010
- Kamar E., Karaca-Mandic P., Talley E. “Going-Private Decisions and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: A Cross-Country Analysis”, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 25(1):107-133, 2009
- Joyce G., Goldman D., Karaca-Mandic P., Lawless G. “Impact of Specialty Drugs on the Use of Other Medical services for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis”, American Journal of Managed Care, Vol.14 (12), 2008
- Gates S. Kapur K., Karaca-Mandic P. “Consumer-Directed Health Plans And Health Savings Accounts: Have They Worked for Small Businesses?”, Forum for Health Economics & Policy, Vol. 11: Iss. 2, 2008
- Joyce G., Goldman D., Karaca-Mandic P. Zheng Y. “Pharmacy Benefit Caps and the Chronically Ill”, Health Affairs, Vol 26. No. 5., 2007
- Goldman D., Joyce G., Karaca-Mandic P., Sood N. “Adverse Selection in Retiree Prescription Drug Plans”, Forum for Health Economics & Policy, Forum: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Vol. 9, Issue 1, 2006
- Edlin A., Karaca-Mandic P. “The Accident Externality from Driving”, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 114, No.51, 2006
- Goldman D., Joyce G., Karaca-Mandic P “Varying Pharmacy Benefits With Clinical Status: The Case of Cholesterol-Lowering Therapy”, American Journal of Managed Care, Vol.12, No.1 January 2006
- Karaca-Mandic P., Train K. “Standard Error Correction in Two-Stage Estimation with Nested Samples”, Econometrics Journal Vol. 6, No. 2, 2003
- Karaca, P. “The Object and the Study of Mathematics”, Humanistic Mathematics Network Journal, # 16, November 1997 (current journal name is Journal of Humanistic Mathematics).
Published Book Chapters/Reports/Editorials:
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Abraham J., Simon K., Feldman R. “Going into the Affordable Care Act: Measuring the Size, Structure and Performance of the Individual and Small Group Markets for Health Insurance”, forthcoming in the NBER Volume on Modeling and Measuring Healthcare Costs
- Abraham J., Karaca-Mandic, P., Choi S. “The ABC’s of Children’s Health: Potential Impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, forthcoming, Cambridge University Press
- Abraham J., Karaca-Mandic, P. “The Performance of Private Health Insurers in the Commercial Market”, forthcoming in the Encylopedia of Health Economics, eds. Tony Culyer, Elsevier
- “Access and Outcomes” – An Editorial and Interview with Pinar Karaca-Mandic on her work exploring the relationship between medical technology and physicians, particularly the analysis of physician competition –featured in International Innovation, The Mechanics of Health, July 2013
- Karaca-Mandic, P., Abraham J. “Using Data From the National Association of Insurance Commissioners For Health Reform Evaluation”, State Health Reform Assistance Issue Brief, July 2013
- Karaca-Mandic, P. Lee J. “Trucks and SUVs in the Twin Cities Metro Area: How Dangerous Are They?” Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) Reporter, University of Minnesota, April 2012
- Kamar E., Karaca-Mandic P., Talley E “Sarbanes-Oxley and Small Firms: What is the Evidence?”, in In the Name of Entrepreneurship?: The Logic and Effects of Special Regulatory Treatment for Small Business, Susan M. Gates and Kristin Leuschner, Eds. DRR-4152-ICJ, 2007
- Gates S. Kapur K., Karaca-Mandic P. “State Health Insurance Mandates, Consumer Directed Health Plans and Health Savings Accounts: Are They a Panacea for Small Businesses?”, in In the Name of Entrepreneurship?: The Logic and Effects of Special Regulatory Treatment for Small Business, Susan M. Gates and Kristin Leuschner, Eds. DRR-4152-ICJ, 2007