Research Interests:Obesity prevention interventions among children, youth and families; social and environmental influences on eating and physical activity behaviors
Simone French earned a Ph.D. in psychology at the University of Minnesota. Dr. French’s research focuses on obesity prevention interventions in community settings. Her research examines children, adolescents and adults, in settings such as the home, worksites, schools and neighborhoods. Dr. French is the Director of the University of Minnesota Obesity Prevention Center. She teaches the Obesity Prevention Seminar course.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- B.A. in Psychology, Macalester College
Behavior & Health, Child / Adolescent Health, Community Intervention, Community-Based Research, Nutrition / Diet, Obesity, Obesity: Adult, Obesity: Child, Physical Activity, Policy / Politics
Director: Obesity Prevention Center
Member: University of Minnesota Cancer Center
- 2004-present Professor, Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 2012-present Director, University of Minnesota Obesity Prevention Center
- 2004-2012 Associate Director, University of Minnesota Obesity Prevention Center
- 2002-2006 Editor (founding), International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- 1998-2004 Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1994-1998 Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1992-1994 Research Associate, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- 1990-1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Cardiovascular Health Behavior, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- Editor, International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (2003 – 2006)
- Institute of Medicine, National Academies of Research, Member of the Committee on Prevention of Obesity in Childhood and Youth (2002-2004)
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA); Fellow Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM); Fellow
144 Peer-Reviewed scientific publications
- French SA, Epstein LH, Jeffery RW, Blundell JE, Wardle J. Eating behavior dimensions. Associations with energy intake and body weight. A review. Appetite, 2012;59(2):541-549.
- French SA, Mitchell NR, Hannan PJ. Decreased television viewing predicts lower BMI at one year follow up in adolescents but not adults. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Available on-line, May, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jneb.2011.12.008
- French SA, Gerlach AF, Mitchell NR, Hannan PJ, Welsh EM. Household obesity prevention-Take Action: A group randomized trial. Obesity 2011 doi: 10 1038/ oby 2010.328.
- French SA, Harnack LJ, Hannan PJ, Mitchell NR, Gerlach AF, Toomey TL. Worksite environment intervention to prevent obesity among metropolitan transit workers. Preventive Medicine 2010: 50:180-185.
- French SA, Wall M, Mitchell N, Shimotsu ST, Welch E. Annotated receipts capture food purchases from a broad range of sources. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2009. 6: 37 (July 1, 2009). (PMCID# PMC2714491)