Her primary research interests are cardiovascular disease etiology related to visceral fat accumulation, dyslipidemia, and the perimenopausal transition as well as structural and functional brain MRI in healthy populations. She also teaches applied statistical methodology and SAS programming. She directs the School of Public Health’s Center to Study Human-Animal Relationships and Environments (CENSHARE), and is involved with
human-animal interaction research in the area of companion animals.
- Ph.D. Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- M.S. Biomedical Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- M.S. Mol, Cell, Dev Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- B.S. Biology/French Culture, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- Epidemiology Methods 3 and Lab
Cardiovascular Disease, Epidemiology, Obesity: Adult, Research Methods, Screening: Cardiovascular Disease, Women’s Health
- 2013-present: Director, CENSHARE
- 2011-2014: Program Director, Epidemiology MPH Major
- 2006-2009: Director of Graduate Studies
- 2006-present: Professor with tenure, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 2005-present: Director, Complementary and Alternative Medicine Interdisciplinary Concentration
- 2001-2004: Chair, Epidemiology MPH major
- 1999-2006: Associate Professor with tenure, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 1994-1999: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota
- 1993: Visiting Scientist, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland.
- 1992-1994: Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1988-1990: US Public Health Service Traineeship Award
- 1990-1992: Health Services Research and Development Field Predoctoral Traineeship
- 1992-1994: NHLBI Postdoctoral Traineeship
- 2000: Delta Omega, Pi Chapter
- 2001: Fellow, American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention
- 2006-2010: Chartered Member, Cardiovascular and Sleep Epidemiology Study Section, NIH/NHLBI
Etiology of cardiovascular disease and prevention, dyslipidemia, obesity, visceral fat accumulation and the perimenopausal transition.
- Green D, C Chan, J Kang, K Liu, PJ Schreiner, NS Jenny, RP Tracy. 2010. Longitudinal assessment of fibrinogen in relation to subclinical cardiovascular disease: The CARDIA Study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 8(3):489-495.
- Green D, N Foiles, C Chan, J Kang, PJ Schreiner, K Liu. 2010. An association between c lotting factor VII and carotid intima-media thickness: The CARDIA Study. Stroke Jul;41(7):1417-1422.
- Kershaw KN, AV Diez Roux, M Carnethon, C Darwin, DC Goff, W Post, PJ Schreiner, K Watson. 2010. Geographic variation in hypertension prevalence among Blacks and Whites: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. American Journal of Hypertension. 23(1):46-53.
- Tang W, G Apostol, PJ Schreiner, DR Jacobs Jr, E Boerwinkle, M Fornage. 2010. Associations of Lipoprotein Lipase Gene Polymorphisms with Longitudinal Plasma Lipid Trends in Young Adults: the CARDIA Study. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2010 Apr;3(2):179-186.
- Widome R, DR Jacobs Jr, A Hozawa, F Sijtsma, M Gross, PJ Schreiner, C Iribarren. 2010. Passive Smoke Exposure and Circulating Carotenoids in the CARDIA Study. Ann Nutr Metab. 56(2):113-118.
- Tsai MY, CM Loria, J Cao, Y Kim, DS Siscovick, PJ Schreiner, NQ Hanson. 2009. Polygenic association with total homocysteine in the post folic acid fortification era: the CARDIA Study. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 98(1-2):181-186.
- Tsai MY, CM Loria, J Cao, Y Kim, D Siscovick, P J Schreiner, and NQ Hanson. 2009. Clinical Utility of Genotyping the 677C>T Variant of Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase in Humans is Decreased in the Post-Folic Acid Fortification Era. The Journal of Nutrition 139(1):33-37.
- Chamberlain AM, PJ Schreiner, M Fornage, CM Loria, D Siscovick and E Boerwinkle. 2009. Ala54Thr polymorphism of the fatty acid binding protein 2 gene and saturated fat intake in relation to lipid levels and insulin resistance: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study. Metabolism 58(9):1222-1228.
- Bower J, PJ Schreiner, B Sternfeld, and CD Lewis. 2009 Black-White Differences in Hysterectomy Prevalence: The CARDIA Study. American Journal of Public Health 99(2):300-307.
- Burnett-Hartman AN, AL Fitzpatrick, K Gao, SA Jackson and PJ Schreiner. 2009. Supplement use contributes to meeting recommended dietary intakes for calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C in four ethnicities of middle-aged and older Americans: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Am Diet Assoc 109(3):422-429.
- Carnethon MR, B. Sternfeld, PJ Schreiner, DR Jacobs Jr., CE Lewis, K Liu, OD Williams, and S Sidney. 2009. Association of 20-year changes in cardiorespiratory fitness with incident type 2 diabetes: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) fitness study. Diabetes Care 32(7):1284-1288.
- Kandula NR, AV Diez-Roux, C Chan, ML Daviglus, SA Jackson, H Ni and PJ Schreiner. 2008. Association of acculturation levels and prevalence of diabetes mellitus in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Diabetes Care. 31(8):1621-1628.
- Michos ED, D Vaidya, SM Gapstur, PJ Schreiner, SH Golden, ND Wong, MH Criqui and P Ouyang. 2008. Sex hormones, sex hormone binding globulin, and abdominal aortic calcification in women and men in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 200(2):432-438.
- Gao SK, SA Beresford, LL Frank, PJ Schreiner, GL Burke and AL Fitzpatrick. 2008. Modifications to the healthy eating index and its ability to predict obesity: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Clin Nutr 88(1):64-69.
- Golden SH, M Lazo, M Carnethon, AG Bertoni, PJ Schreiner, AV Diez Roux, HB Lee and C Lyketsos. 2008. Examining a bidirectional association between depressive symptoms and diabetes. JAMA 299(23):2751-2759.
- Green D, N Foiles, C Chan, PJ Schreiner, K Liu. 2008. Elevated fibrinogen levels and subsequent subclinical atherosclerosis: The CARDIA Study. Atherosclerosis 202(2):623-631.
- Wellons MF, CE Lewis, SM Schwartz, EP Gunderson, PJ Schreiner, B Sternfeld, J Richman, CK Sites and DS Siscovick. 2008. Racial differences in self-reported infertility and risk factors for infertility in a cohort of black and white women: The CARDIA Women’s Study. Fertility and Sterility 90(5):1640-1648.
- Sternfeld B, K Liu, CP Quesenberry Jr, H Wang, SF Jiang, M Daviglus, M Fornage, CE Lewis, J Mahan, PJ Schreiner, SM Schwartz, S Sidney, OD Williams and DS Siscovick. 2008. Changes over 14 years in androgenicity and body mass index in a bi-racial cohort of reproductive age women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93(6):2158-2165.
- Chamberlain AM, AR Folsom, PJ Schreiner, E Boerwinkle and CM Ballantyne. 2008. Low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in relation to genetic polymorphisms and menopausal status: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Atherosclerosis 200(2):322-328.
- Salas M, CI Kiefe, PJ Schreiner, Y Kim, L Juarez, SD Person and OD Williams. 2008. Obesity modifies the association of race/ethnicity with medication adherence in the CARDIA study. Patient Centered Outcome Res 1(1):41-54.
- Allison MA, MJ Budoff, ND Wong, RS Blumenthal, PJ Schreiner and MH Criqui. 2008. Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Subclinical Cardiovascular Disease in Selected US Hispanic Ethnic Groups: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol 168(8):962-969.
- Manolio TA, AM Arnold, W Post, AG Bertoni, PJ Schreiner, RL Sacco, MF Saad, RL Detrano and M Szklo. 2008. Ethnic differences in the relationship of carotid atherosclerosis to coronary calcification: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 197:132-138.
- Vaidya D, M Szklo, K Liu PJ Schreiner, A Bertoni and P Ouyang. 2007. Defining the metabolic syndrome construct: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis Cross-Sectional Analysis. Diabetes Care 30(8):2086-2090.
- Lakoski SG, P Greenland, Wong ND, PJ Schreiner, DM Herrington, RA Krommal, K Liu and RS Blumenthal. 2007. Coronary artery calcium scores and risk for cardiovascular events in women classified as “low risk” based on Framingham risk score. Arch Intern Med 167(22):2437-2442.
- Widome R, DR Jacobs Jr., PJ Schreiner and C Iribarren. 2007. Passive smoke exposure trends and workplace policy in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study (1985-2001). Prev Med 44(6):490-495.
- Golden SH, H Lee, PJ Schreiner, A Diez Roux, A Fitzpatrick, M Szklo and C Lyketsos. 2007. Depression and type 2 diabetes mellitus: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Psychosomatic Med 69(6):529-536.
- Lee CD, DR Jacobs, PJ Schreiner, C Iribarren and A Hankinson. 2007. Abdominal obesity and coronary artery calcification in young adults: The CARDIA study. Am J Clin Nutr 86:48-54.
- Loria CM, K Liu, CE Lewis, SB Hulley, S Sidney, PJ Schreiner, OD Williams, DE Bild and R Detrano. 2007. Early adult risk factor levels and subsequent coronary artery calcification: the CARDIA Study. JACC 49(20):2013-2020.
- Holvoet P, NS Jenny, PJ Schreiner, RP Tracy and DR Jacobs for the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. 2007. The relationship between oxidized LDL and other cardiovascular risk factors and subclinical CVD in different ethnic groups: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 194:245-252.
- Parker ED, KH Schmitz, DR Jacobs Jr., DR Dengel and PJ Schreiner. 2007. Physical activity in young adults and incident hypertension over fifteen years of follow-up: The CARDIA Study. Am J Pub Health 97(4):703-709.
- Wei Q, DR Jacobs Jr., PJ Schreiner, DS Siscovick, MW Steffes and M Fornage. 2006. Patterns of Association between PPARgamma Genetic Variation and Indices of Adiposity and Insulin Action in African Americans and Whites – The CARDIA Study. J Mol Med 84(11):955-965.
- Massing MW, RJ Simpson Jr., PM Rautaharju, PJ Schreiner, R Crow and G Heiss. 2006. Usefulness of ventricular premature complexes to predict coronary heart disease events and mortality (from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Cohort). Am J Cardiol 98:1609-1612.
- McMahan CA, SS Gidding, GT Malcom, PJ Schreiner, JP Strong, RE Tracy, OD Williams and HC McGill Jr for the Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY) Research Group. 2007. Comparison of coronary heart disease risk factors in autopsied young adults from the PDAY study with living young adults from the CARDIA study. Cardiovascular Pathology 16:151-158.
- Gidding SS, CA McMahan, HC McGill, LA Colangelo, PJ Schreiner, OD Williams and K Liu. 2006. Prediction of coronary artery calcium in young adults using the pathobiological determinants of atherosclerosis in youth (PDAY) risk score: The CARDIA Study. Archives of Internal Medicine 166;2341-2347.
- Truesdale KP, J Stevens, CE Lewis, PJ Schreiner, CM Loria and J Cai. 2006. Changes in risk factors for cardiovascular disease by baseline weight status in young adults who maintain or gain weight over 15 years: the CARDIA study. Int J Obes 30:1397-1407.
- Andersen LF, DR Jacobs Jr., MD Gross, PJ Schreiner, OD Williams and DH Lee. 2006. Longitudinal associations between body mass index and serum carotenoids: the CARDIA study. Br J Nutrition 95:358-364.
- Warren M, PJ Schreiner and J Terry. 2006. The relation between visceral fat measurement and torso level: Is one level better than another? The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study, 1990-1992. Am J Epidemiol 163:352-358.
- Ohira T, PJ Schreiner, JD Morrisett, LE Chambless, WD Rosamond and AR Folsom. 2006. Lipoprotein(a) and incident ischemic stroke. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Stroke 37:1407-1412.
- Taylor BC, PJ Schreiner, JM Zmuda, J Li, SP Moffett, TJ Beck, SR Cummings, JM Lee, K Walker and KE Ensrud. 2006. Association of endothelial nitric oxide synthase genotypes with bone mineral density, bone loss, hip structure, and risk of fracture in older women: The SOF study. Bone 39;174-180.
- Steffes MW, MD Gross, D-H Lee, PJ Schreiner and DR Jacobs Jr. 2006. Adiponectin, visceral fat, oxidative stress, and early macrovascular disease: the coronary artery risk development in young adults study. Obes Res 14(2):319-326.
- Fornage M, DR Jacobs Jr., MW Steffes, MD Gross, MS Bray and P Schreiner. 2005. Inverse effects of the PPAR-g2 Pro12Ala polymorphism on measures of adiposity and insulin sensitivity over 15 years in African-Americans and whites: The CARDIA Study. Metabolism 54:910-917.
- Yu X, DR Jacobs Jr., PJ Schreiner, MD Gross, MW Steffes and M Fornage. 2005. Uncoupling protein 2 Ala55Val polymorphism is associated with diabetes mellitus: The CARDIA Study. Clinical Chemistry 51:1451-1456.
- Diez Roux AV, R Detrano, S Jackson, DR Jacobs Jr., PJ Schreiner, S Shea and M Szklo. 2005. Acculturation and socioeconomic position as predictors of coronary calcification in a multiethnic sample. Circulation 112(11):1557-1565.
- Wattanakit K, JE Williams, PJ Schreiner, AT Hirsch and AR Folsom. 2005. Association of anger proneness, depression, and low social support with peripheral arterial disease: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Vasc Med 10(3):199-206.
- Taylor BC, PJ Schreiner, TM Doherty, M Fornage, JJ Carr and S Sidney. 2005. Matrix Gla protein and osteopontin genetic associations with coronary artery calcification and bone density: The CARDIA Study. Hum Genet 116:525-528.
- Gardin JM, C Iribarren, RC Detrano, K Liu, PJ Schreiner, CM Loria and ND Wong. 2005. Relation of echocardiographic left ventricular mass, geometry and wall stress, and left atrial dimension to coronary calcium in young adults: The CARDIA Study. Am J Cardiol 95:626-629.