Apply to the School
Prerequisites & Preferences
For International Applicants
For Doctoral Applicants
For Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Applicants
Equal Opportunity, Access & Privacy
SPH Application Deadlines
Tips for Applying
Application for 2015 Admission
Applications are still being accepted to select programs
(click on deadlines link below)
Application for 2016 Admission
Begins August 18, 2015 in SOPHAS (degree programs) and SOPHAS Express (certificate programs)
- Final deadlines vary by program. See all application deadlines for SPH programs.
To receive consideration for collegiate level merit-based awards, applications must be submitted and complete, with all required supporting documentation, by Dec. 1. Applicants meeting the priority deadline will be automatically considered for a range of School of Public Health scholarships. Applications submitted/complete after Dec. 1 will be given scholarship consideration based on availability of funds.
MHA, MPH, MS and PhD Application Process
The online application process is through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for schools and Programs of Public Health.
The University of Minnesota School of Public Health requires applicants to submit the following within the SOPHAS application:
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives describing the reasons for your interest in public health, your intended program of study, the University of Minnesota SPH and your career goals.
- Resume or C.V.
- Official transcripts from each U.S. college or university attended must be sent from that institution directly to SOPHAS. This includes a University of Minnesota transcript (if applicable). Do not send transcripts to the University of Minnesota.
- Official GRE scores should be sent to institution code 6891 – U Minnesota Sch Pub Hlth SOPHAS.
- Note: Some programs will accept other official test scores or may waive the GRE requirement. View a list of possible options
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references. Letters should be provided in SOPHAS. Do not have letters of recommendation sent to the University of Minnesota.
- International applicants – see additional requirements under the tab ‘For International Applicants’.
- PhD applicants – see additional requirements under the tab ‘For Doctoral Applicants’.
Review & Admissions Process
Each degree and certificate program has its own admissions committee composed of faculty members from that area of study. The committees review applications for evidence of the applicant’s intent and purpose in studying public health, past academic performance, program-specific academic potential, professional and life experience, English fluency (where required), and other factors such as an applicant’s compatibility with faculty expertise and program directions.
Selected applicants to the Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program may also be invited for an interview.
Length of Process and Notification: This process may take up to six weeks in the peak application season of December/January. At other times, committees may make admission decisions more quickly. All applicants are notified of the committee’s decision via email and/or letter.
Admitted Applicants: Admitted applicants will be directed to our website to make their decision on our admission offer. Those accepting admission will be required to make a $250 non-refundable admission deposit, which will be applied toward their student account at the beginning of their admission term.